Author Topic: Peter Farquharson in 65th Regiment of Foot  (Read 3718 times)

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Peter Farquharson in 65th Regiment of Foot
« on: Wednesday 01 February 06 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Definitely reached the stage where I need help/guidance re more information for the above....

Born 29/10/1774 @ Inveravon, Scotland and died 08/11/1861 @ Clifton, Bristol.

From his nephew's will he was a Lieutenant Colonel in the 65th Regiment of Foot and DAG of Kingston, Jamaica......and although I am now capable of answering questions on Mastermind re the 65ths involvement in India/New Zealand etc, I am no closer to finding anything further on him personally.

Help !!!

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Farquharson in 65th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 18:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mrs Bamber Gascoigne !!

How come he died before he was born ? - no wonder you can't find him  ;D

I take it you have all of this .... ? it might be an idea to post on the Australia and New Zealand board also !! Have you tried the London and Indian Times? or the London Gazette - tell us where you've looked already - so we don't give you what you've already got!!

65th (2nd Yorkshire North Riding) Regiment of Foot
Nicknames: 'The Royal Tigers' and 'Hickety Pips'.

The 65th sailed to New South Wales from England, provided guards on convict ships during 1845 and 1846. Two companies of the regiment were moved in 1846 to the Bay of Islands, but arrived after the fighting ended. Other detachments were stationed in Auckland. By 1847 the whole regiment had been moved to Wellington, a detachment of which took part in the skirmish at Horokiri. Companies of the 65th relieved the garrison of the 58th Regiment in Wanganui and took part in the fighting there. The regiment remained in garrison in Wellington and Wanganui for 14 years. The 65th Regiment was the only British regiment to serve in both the fighting in the 1840's and the 1860's.

The year 1860 saw the headquarters of the 65th Regiment based in Auckland, but in February of that year the regiment sailed to New Plymouth. It was soon in action at the 'L' Pa at Waitara, and a detachment of the 65th stormed the rifle pits at Mahoetahi. During 1861 the regiment was strongly engaged at the sieges of Huirangi and Te Arei. At the cessation of hostilities the regiment was withdrawn to Auckland where it was stationed first at Otahuhu and later at Drury. A detachment returned to New Plymouth when the Second Taranaki War broke out and were present at the storming of Katikara Pa in June 1863.

The outbreak of the Waikato War saw several companies of the regiment stationed along the Great South Road and in September 1863 a detachment of the regiment was heavily engaged at the skirmish at Camerontown. The 65th sustained losses in the unsuccessful attack on Rangiriri Pa and moved forward to Paterangi from which it advanced against the village of Rangiowhia. Detachments of the regiment were present at the action at Hairini and the siege of Orakau. In 1864 a detachment of the regiment took part in the Gate Pa battle.

The 65th Regiment remained in garrison in the Waikato and Auckland areas before sailing for England in October 1865.

Annie  :) :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Farquharson in 65th Regiment of Foot - amended
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Amended posting to read correct date of birth as 1774 and it looks like you and I would be squidged together on the "black chair" re the 65th...wonderful nickname "The Hickety Pips"

What I actually have is precisely nothing....don't think a brain stuffed with campaign details and battle plans counts for much !!

Amendment : Have this morning received copy details of his MI @ Inveravon, the only additional information is that he was DAG for 12.5 years so was unlikely to have gone to NZ.

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ysabeau,

I had a look at the 1840 Harts Army list for the 65th Regiment and found the following info about the service of Lt.Col Peter Farquharson.

By 1840 he had served 33 years on full pay.

His promotions were;

Ensign:1st September 1807

Lieutenant:1st May 1810 (paid for)

Captain:2nd June 1825

Major:24th August 1832 (paid for)

Here is his list of service,what a busy chap he was!!

Major Farquharson served at the capture of the Isle of France in 1810.The capture of the fort of 'Now Nuggar' in Kallywar Feb.1814.

He was on the borders of Scindias country in 1814.

Took part in the capture the forts of Joorin in Aug.1815.

Served in Anjar and Khuncoote in Feb.1816.

Served in Dhingee and Dwarka in March 1816.

Involved in the action and capture of Poona on 17th March 1817.

Served at Ashtee on 21st Feb.1818 where the Mahratta General Golka was killed and Satteria Reya was captured.

Took part in the Storm of Kutch Booje Fort in March 1819.

Took part in capture of the forts of Rass-el-Kyma and Zama on the 8th and 22nd Dec.1819.

He served in Arabia in 1821 and was present in the action of Beni-Boo-Ali on the 2nd of March.

That is all of the info from the 1840 army list.I don't have the 1850 but would imagine that if he was still in the army at that time that you might be able to get further information.

Best wishes,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 06 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Post-1840 info, from The Times:

The Times, Wednesday, Sep 06, 1843; pg. 4; Issue 18394; col A

Major Peter Farquharson, of the 65th Foot, to be Deputy Adjutant-General to the Forces serving in Jamaica (with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army), vice Turner, who resigns.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Good morning.......

Thank you to everyone who replied to this posting........much, much appreciated !!!!

Ysabeau

Offline david Farquharson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 November 13 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi I can shed a little more light on Peter farquharson Esq for you. He was my great great grandfather. Served as Dep Adj Gen in Jamaica. I have the original commissions under the royal wax and seal signed by Queen Victoria, King George and Edward i think. He had a son (Born in Jamaica) Frances Albert Farquharson who moved to queensland Australia in the late 1800s. Pleased to provide more information.
David Farquharson

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I realise that this is a very old thread - but I am a third person interested in Peter Farquharson.  I think we may all be related in some way, and would love to confer, should anyone still be reading this.