Author Topic: Daguerreotype 'photo  (Read 9726 times)

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daguerreotype 'photo
« on: Thursday 02 February 06 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I am lucky enough to have my gt gt grandmothers wedding 'photo taken in 1856. As they were just poor ag labs how much would this 'photo have cost? and how many weeks wages would it have taken to pay for it?
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Daguerreotype 'photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,
Are you sure it's a daguerreotype?  It's a bit late for one...could it be an Ambrotype - a photo on glass?
Daguerreotypes were very expensive and really out of the reach of the less-affluent classes.  Ambrotypes were slightly cheaper but still would have been expensive - maybe this photo was a wedding gift from someone or a group of people who pooled their money? 
Cheers
Prue

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue, it could be an amberotype I don't really know the difference.
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Pam,

It takes a bit of practice to distinguish between them, that's for sure  :)

First off, is your photo in a frame or a little box, and does it have glass over the front?  Any chance of posting a photo or a scan of it?

Prue

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 06 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue
sorry I can't seem to send a copy, but it is in a little box, the actual 'photo is on glass framed with a bronze coloured metal. The image is reversed because her wedding ring is on her right hand according to the 'photo. Does this help? 
Pam

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Yes, it definitely helps - it sounds like an Ambrotype to me.  This is an image on glass and you are quite right, the image is reversed because in reality the Ambrotype is a "direct positive", i.e. the glass was put in the camera, the photo taken, and then the glass had a negative image on it.  The glass was taken out of the camera and processed, and then assembled, usually in this order:  black card, black painted back of the glass, or black cloth; photograph; metal frame (usually oval or some fancy shape); a piece of cover glass; paper tape to seal around all the edges; a gold coloured metal frame around teh whole lot; put the package into the tray or box and there you are!

They're beautiful things and you are lucky to have one.  If you can manage to post a picture of it, I'd love to see it and just confirm that it is what I say it is!! 

If no-one else comes up with the info, I'll see if I can find out how much people would have had to pay for one of these photos.  Are you in the UK?

Cheers
Prue

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Prue
Many many thanks for all the info' I will try again to send a copy, then I might read the instructions!
Pam

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I have one of these too...(of my Great Grandparents, taken on their wedding day in Swansea in (approx) 1860. My husband says its a silver colloidon pic, (on glass).

I will try & copy it here,- & you can see if its the same as your one.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Prue
Hopefully this will work
Pam