Author Topic: Thomas Penfold and Sophia/Soffia Orchard  (Read 45398 times)

Offline westaway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: thomas penfold married in south molton1866 to sophia orchard
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, It,s me Glen again. I live about 10 miles from South Molton and found your postings quite by chance.
I shall have to have a good think but Violet Penfold's father was called Lenard (not sure on the spelling) and she had a brother and a sister that I can remember and possably more, Alfie was the brother. She was the youngest of the family by a long way. We went to school  in the mid 40's and I always envied her boots. She had 2 pairs of high lace-up boots and it seemed to me she wore them summer and winter, but I expect I'm wrong.
There was a fair at Bampton (still is but no livestock anymore). This was like the meeting of the clan's Every Penfold and connected families would meet there to deal in horses and generally have a real good party. I've heard my father say he sold a horse there to one of the Penfold'sand they went out to the back of the pub to sort out the money, ? Penfold had a leather purse under his trousers from which he took the money and there was 100's of pounds in it. Another fair locally was at Chulmleigh, this was also a meeting place. One pub would be full of the Penfold's and I can remember this as recently as the 1960's. I shall have to send you a private message if you want and I could give you names and addresses of connections to your family. Must add your Mum looks exactly like most Penfolds I have ever known, especially a lady who died recently called Ivy Penfold. I will keep thinking!!!.
Glen
Keenor, Heywood, Towell, Bird, Westaway, Warne, Ball, Joy,
Devon.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 September 06 12:45 BST (UK) »
I'm going daft- didn't realise there was a few pages of this thread  :-[
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 11 September 06 09:19 BST (UK) »
Deb,
You've got me going now and it's not even my rellies. But must admit I am a nosy so and so.

I had a quick look at Genes Reunited, 4000 odd Penfold's there and 11 Sophia Orchard's . Plenty b. Devon and Cornwall. O.K. there has been a lot of talk about the site but if you join at least you can ask to have a look at the tree.

I remember my Dad talking about Noah, and there was Joe, Stan, who's son is/was a school teacher I think, and Chris, These would all have been around in the last 40 years I guess. Violet's older sister was called Sophie. Violet lives/ lived in Tiverton the last I heard. Don't know a married name.
Ivy who died recently, was married to a Roberts. They ran a few horses National Hunt.
Will send a personal E-MAIL with more recent info.
Glen
Devon.

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 September 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
hi Deb and Co
    sound like thinks have been getting interesting , my husband G-Grandmother Vashti lived  in a Caravan/old bus in the woods Somewhere down South Molton way, my husband can remember it from his child hood but isnt quite sure where she was a penfold til marriage. the Violet your talking about i think was one of 6 children of Leonard and Sophie Penfold nee Orchard, Voilet is i belive still alive  and was the youngest by quite a bit to the others Sophie and Besty are also still about last i heard , take care Louise
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline westaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 15 September 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi its Glen here.
You have the Violet I went to school with O.K. they lived in a wooden bungalow at Burridge Moor on the Witheridge- Chawleigh road.
Vashni I think I remember was more often called Vienie? I can remember her husband also but the name escapes at the moment.and she had  a sister Jennti ??? She was the Carnival Queen at South Molton once. Were they the daughters of Joe or Chris Penfold? When they were young they used to come around all the farms in a pony and trap selling things like socks, tea towels buttons thread and such like and buying rags and rabbit and mole skins. My mum always bought her clothes pegs from them and would never buy the spring ones you get today. I expect you know, but they were made from partially split sticks about 6 inches long and had a piece of tin around the top of the split about 2/3 of the way up.
I see you are in Somerset, there is a special day at the West Country Studies Library I saw when I was in there today. It's all about Gypsies and Travelling people and offers help with tracing family tree's, also photographs on show. Pretty sure it's Sat. Oct 14th but a phone call would confirm it.
Will post again when my memory returns, it's all so long ago!!

Devon.

Offline westaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 15 September 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
1901 census Penfolds at North Tawton in Devon.
Devon.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 15 September 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
hi Louise and Glen

Louise ..... how lucky you are to have hooked up with Glen who actually knew your Penfolds..... I am Soooooooooooooo envious  ;D

I am still trying to find my Thomas penfold and Sophia Orchard in the 1871 and 1881 census....  WHERE ARE THEY????

Glen ... wish i could have some of the Penfold memories that you have!

please everyone leep looking for mine too  ;)

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 16 September 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All
        yes we are gona try an get to exeter for the r.t.f.h.s day on the 14th, my Vashti was in her late 70s in the 70s when she died she was a Saunders by marriage then a Reed, she had 5 Saunders Children Ocean, Caroline,Leonard Sophia and Defiance(my husbands granny) Vashti was sister to Leonard Penfold Violets Father so they would of been cousins. i know they travelled about alot but were often back round the tiverton area. Caroline and Defiance  married two Holland Brothers, Sophia married an Orchard (i think) and Leonard married a James (we think) not sure about Ocean but she was Alive last heard, hope this helps and Maybe you may remember them take care Louise
ps Debs im still looking for them
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 16 September 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise  :D

Just noticed some other names at the bottom of your profile....... Hawkins!

My great uncle Nelson, brother to my Violet, son of William penfold and Bessie Palmer, Grandson of ThoMas Penfold and Sophia Orchard .... married a Pearlie Hawkins.

She originally came from Cornwall but her and nelson lived for years and years in Plymouth ,Devon.

Is there  a connection?

thanks
deb

PS: so strange to look at your  names and mine at the bottom of our profile ...hehehehe ...penfolds/orchards/james etc !!~
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk