Author Topic: Fox Family  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Lukie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fox Family
« on: Friday 03 February 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me find some more information about my g,g,grandfather family.
His name was Samual Thomson Fox born about 1832 and he married a Jane Chisolm born about 1837. Janes parents were David Chisolm born 1810 in Tardree Antrim and her mother was Sarah Bell born 1814 Tardree Antrim.
Samual's parents were William Fox farm grieve born about 1800 and his mother was Mary Thomson born about 1820's.
Samual had at least 3 brothers and their names are as follows....William born about 1825 Antrim...George about 1827..and John born about 1829.
I know that Samual and Jane moved over to Scotland and settled there and i have managed to trace all their families up to date but i do not seem to be able to find anything about his brothers and parents, anyone out there who could come up wit some ideas of where to look i would be gratefull, also ther may be someone who is related and that would be wonderfull. Thanks
Lukie

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look here you will see that a Samuel Thompson Fox appears on the Marriage Index for 1858 so is quite possibly your chap. You can pay £6 to view the details of the marriage entry.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We have a family called Fox in our tree from Antrim.  William Fox born about 1851. Came to England and married a Susan Makin from the North of England.

We do not know about his parents. My wife who is in the Fox line has recently done a DNA family Finder test so we may find matches there.

Best wishes

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We have a family called Fox in our tree from Antrim.  William Fox born about 1851. Came to England and married a Susan Makin from the North of England.
We do not know about his parents. My wife who is in the Fox line has recently done a DNA family Finder test so we may find matches there.
Best wishes
John

The name and occupation of William's father should be listed on his marriage certificate (unless illegitimate).
Have you traced William in each possible English census record to see is a more exact place of birth is listed? the 1911 census seems to be fairly good at giving a more exact location than the country or county but worth checking all of them. We aren't allowed to do 1911 lookups for England/Wales but Family Search does have some details from 1911.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!