Author Topic: Richard HOOK & Esther PICKERING m.1806  (Read 14758 times)

Offline CatherineR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HOOK & Esther PICKERING m.1806
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 September 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Would you like more information on Esther Pickering?

CatherineR

Offline kay43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ticker, I too am descended from Richard Hook and Esther Pickering, a ggg granddaughter. Richard was the son of Matthew Hook and Mary Higgins, nee Taylor, who were married on 6 October 1779 in Westbury-on Severn. Matthew was buried on Feb 8, 1809 in Tibberton, aged 60. He was a yeoman farmer. I have yet to find his baptism, in abour 1749. His brother was Richard Hook of Lydney, who married Hannah Wade 31 March 1778 in Lydney. He died in 1820. Richard Hook, who married Esther Pickering, was baptised March 27 1781 in Tibberton and Married Esther on June 29 1806. Their children were Edwin, who died as infant in 1807, Richard, b. 1808 who died in America, Charles, born 1809, Ann, born 1811, who married William Huxley, Mary, born 1813, who married Mr. Workman, James, bapt. 28 Aug 1814 and Matthew, born 22 Oct 1815 in Westbury-on Severn, my 2-gt grandfather. I've got more info. on Esther etc. if you want it.

Kay Williams

Offline Jackie45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Ticker,

I am researching the Hook family.

I have heard about Henry from Rourke's Drift but alas it seems he is not on my immediately family either!  I would love to have that story to tell, but we can say he is part of our family still!!!

I am following the line of Isaac Hook born 1833/4 who married Charlotte Hawkins in 1855.

I forget who but someone posted on here a link to a fabulous site for loads of info on the Gloucs parish records.  In the last 2 hours I have found so much information it's unbelievable!

Have a look:-
forest-of-dean.net

I have got back to 1793 and found Isaac's parents Jacob and Elizabeth, who are George Hook and Mary King, then I found Charlotte Hawkins' parents, and their parents..................

Let me know if I can help you out.

As I said, I am following the Hooks from Glocs but mine moved to Atherton by 1870's.

Jackie

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 09 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker, I too am descended from Richard Hook and Esther Pickering, a ggg granddaughter. Richard was the son of Matthew Hook and Mary Higgins, nee Taylor, who were married on 6 October 1779 in Westbury-on Severn. Matthew was buried on Feb 8, 1809 in Tibberton, aged 60. He was a yeoman farmer. I have yet to find his baptism, in abour 1749. His brother was Richard Hook of Lydney, who married Hannah Wade 31 March 1778 in Lydney. He died in 1820. Richard Hook, who married Esther Pickering, was baptised March 27 1781 in Tibberton and Married Esther on June 29 1806. Their children were Edwin, who died as infant in 1807, Richard, b. 1808 who died in America, Charles, born 1809, Ann, born 1811, who married William Huxley, Mary, born 1813, who married Mr. Workman, James, bapt. 28 Aug 1814 and Matthew, born 22 Oct 1815 in Westbury-on Severn, my 2-gt grandfather. I've got more info. on Esther etc. if you want it.

Kay Williams

Hi Kay

Thanks for the message and information.  Sorry for the delay in replying.

I am also descended from Richard's son Matthew - I am his 3 x great grandson.  My line from Matthew is his son Walter Hook, Walter's daughter Alice Eliza Hook, Alice's daughter and my grandma Bessie Leigh Claire.

Do you recognise any of these names?  I would appreciate any information that you have on them,

Best wishes and thanks again

Ticker

See pic of Walter Hook
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I have got back to 1793 and found Isaac's parents Jacob and Elizabeth, who are George Hook and Mary King, then I found Charlotte Hawkins' parents, and their parents..................

Hi Jackie

Thanks for the reply.  Could you explain a bit more about the parents of Isaac etc. as in the quote above?

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Jackie45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 November 09 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,

My line is from Thomas Hook b1866 who married Betsy Clines in 1886 in Atherton.

His Parents were Isaac Hook b1834 and Charlotte Hawkins b1835 who married in 1855.

Charlotte's parents were John Hawkins and Eliza Worgan.

Isaac's parents were Jacob Hook b1797 and Elizabeth Williams who married on 19.8.1830 at Hundres of St Briavells, Forest of Dean area.

Jacob's parents were George Hook who married Mary King (widow) on 17.9.1793 (I have yet to find her maiden name).

Hope this helps.

We are obviously not from the same branch but from the same family (I think!).  I get very confused, very easily!

If you have any info I would be grateful too.  Keep in touch.

Jackie

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 November 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi jackie

Thanks. 

I don't have any of those names on my list but hopefully we'll find a link somewhere!

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline kay43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Only just seen your later message. Alice Eliza Hook, born 1875 in Kidsgrove, Staffordshire, was known to me as Auntie Cis and was my grandmother Sarah Ellen Johnson, nee Hook's sister. Alice Eliza married John Clare, 1875-1939. and they had daughter Bessie, 1909-2002 and John (Jack), 1907-2008.

Moderator Comment: Details of email address removed to avoid spamming etc.  Please use our personal message system to exchange such informaion.

Offline kay43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 May 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
I expect you have all the following info: Alice Eliza Hook, remembered by me as Auntie Cis, was born 1875 in Kidsgrove, according to 1881 census, was resident in 12 Cooper Street, Kidsgrove, still Cooper Street in 1891 census and 20/22 High Street, Kidsgrove in 1901 census. Haven't a date for her marriage to John Clare, but he was born in 1875, their son John was born in 1907 and died 26 Dec 2008. Their daughter Bessie was born in 1909 and died 2002. Bessie married Williams Wright and their daughter Margaret was born in 1935. William Wright was born in 1902 and died in 1985. I'm sure you know about Margaret Wright and her family, including Chris Vaughan. Photograph of Hooks attached, Alice Eliza Clare is at back, second from left. All best, Kay