Author Topic: Lookup please 1891 and 1901  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please 1891 and 1901
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsten,

Great!

Rudolf Felix Goldschmidt is the cousin of my mothers grandmother! -  I am not sure if he was jewish. The father of his mother has been roman-catholic and became protestant. The mother of his mother (grand-daughter of a famous rabbi) has been jewish, but the whole family converted to protestant faith, when she was 12 or 13 years old, later she was very active in the protestant church.

However the tolerance of jewish faith in the family had been very high, and Rudolfs mother asked my grandparents that a jewish friend became godparent of my mother.

Rudolf had an elder brother in Australia and a sister living in London. Rudolf, the brother of his mother had been in the wool business in England and Australia. He has been consul in Australia before 1871. - And I am Rudolf No. 4 in this family.

My mother told me a lot of years ago, that the marriage of Rudolf was not very lucky and that the couple had been childless.

In the next days I will post a photo of Rudolfs mother and some of his nephews on my blog.

Best regards
Rudolf H. Boettcher

Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry -but you have the wrong Margaret ...it wasn`t Margaret Murray ...go to
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi
Margaret L Brennan to Rudolph F Goldschmidt    Chorlton on Medlock Register Office or Registrar attended
Manchester CHO  RM/101/3

and according to www.freebmd.org.uk   Margaret Louisa Brennan was born sep qtr 1873 in Haslingden ,Lancashire
lancashire bmd has her registered in1873 in  Newchurch,Preston mothers maiden name Ferguson

lancashirebmd 1872 has this marriage a year before Margarets birth
Patrick Brennan to Mary Ferguson - Preston Register Office or attended....both Irish names , so probably married in a Catholic church
Margaret Goldschmidt b 1893 in Chorlton https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X92H-KGV
James Parlane Goldschmidt b 1894 Chorlton https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2FSZ-TY2
Hermine Mary Goldscmidt b 1900 Chorlton https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X92H-KG2
I would check these out - because unless there is another Goldschmidt in Chorlton at the same time - these may be children of Rudolf and Margaret ???
ADDED
George Thorburn Goldschmidt 1897 Chorlton
Elizabeth Maud Goldschmidt 1901 Chorlton
John Herman Thorburn Goldschmidt 1903 Chorlton
Alice Barbara Goldschmidt 1905 Chorlton
Barbara I T Goldschmidt 1907 Chorlton ...............all on  www.familysearch.org   that`s 8 children - you need to see who is with these children in 1911 census ???...maybe Rudolph and Margaret did have some children - if not 8 kids ??...but ...a couple have Thorburn as middle name - so maybe their mother was a Thorburn ...going to check
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 06:40 BST (UK) »
 in Chorlton
1888 Richard Phillip Goldschmidt to Mary Parlane ...that explains the child James Parlane Goldschmidt 1894
so either these 8 children were the children of Richard and Mary - or - some might be to Rudolph and Margaret
good luck - you definitely need 1911 census - in Chorlton  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 May 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsten,

having been enabled to upload an avatar, I have uploaded the grandfather of Rudolf Felix Goldschmidt, who has been a Bavarian forest man, "Oberförster" in the Palatinate forest.

And here are seven nephews of Rudolf - five Killed in action (WW1), the whole story will be posted on June 10th: http://blogs-stories.blogspot.de/2014/05/ww1-cousins-killed-in-action.html

Best regards

Rudolf H. Boettcher
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you garstonite,

for the ancestors of Margaret Goldschmidt. :D  - I have just checked the Census,1901 as presented by familysearch.org The results are:

Family 1
- Rudolf Goldschmidt, 35, head, Germany Naturalised British Subject
- Margaret Goldschmidt, 30, wife
- D Goldschmidt, 63, Visitor, Germany German Subject [his mother]
* Chorlton / Didsbury / St Pauls Withington / Withington / Lancs

Family 2
- Richard P Goldschmidt, 41, * Manchester
- Mary Goldschmidt, wife
- Philip P Goldschmidt
- James P Goldschmidt
­- Hermine M Goldschmidt
* Chorlton / Ardwick / Birch In Rusholme St James / South Manchester / Lancs

Family 3
- Sidney G Goldschmidt, 31, * Rusholme Manchester
- Jane M G Goldschmidt, wife
- George T[horburn] Goldschmidt, son
& Oscar B Goldschmidt, brother, 28, * Rusholme Manchester
* Chorlton / Didsbury / St Pauls Withington / Withington / Lancs

The children
- John Herman Thorburn Goldschmidt 1903 Chorlton
? Alice Barbara Goldschmidt 1905 Chorlton
- Barbara I T Goldschmidt 1907 Chorlton   
might belong to family 3

- Elizabeth Maud Goldschmidt 1901 Chorlton
has to be checked.

Best regards
Rudolf H. Boettcher

Offline CareyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 21 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello. This is the first time I've posted on this forum.
My Mum, Elisabeth Pigott (nee Thompson) aged 85, is the daughter of George KeatingThompson. His mother was Nanette Brennan the sister of Margaret Brennan who was married to Rudolf F Goldschmidt (uncle Rudi) born 1866 and had come over to the UK from Heidelberg. Rudi and Margaret had a son Cecil who died in France in 1917. It transpires that Cecil was adopted by them. He was Rudi's nephew (surname Boyes). His death was registered under the name Goldschmidt. Nanette Thompson, whose husband had died, and her young son George (my grandfather) moved in with Rudi and Margaret Goldschmidt.  By this stage Cecil had died and my mother thinks Margaret was left feeling devasted. They lived at a big house called Fern Bank in Didsbury, Lancashire, England until the death of Rudi in early 1941 at which point the house was sold and a lot of the house contents and art were auctioned. Rudi's nephews from Australia were apparently also heirs to his estate. Rudi's textile business  (merchant converters) was called Matusch, Goldschmidt & co ltd.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
CareyP - Welcome to Rootschat  :)

You may have noticed that this is an old post dated 2006 proteantime and Rudolf H B added info. 2014

Neither have been on Rootschat for some years but if their email is still active they should receive notification of your post.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 21 15:43 GMT (UK) »

They lived at a big house called Fern Bank in Didsbury, Lancashire, England until the death of Rudi in early 1941 at which point the house was sold and a lot of the house contents and art were auctioned.

Rudi's nephews from Australia were apparently also heirs to his estate. Rudi's textile business  (merchant converters) was called Matusch, Goldschmidt & co ltd.

Here’s Rudolf’s probate record........

Rudolf Felix Goldschmidt Of Fern Bank Stenner Lane Disbury
Died 11 Mar 1941 Probate date 1 May 1941
Probate to George Keating Thompson and Alfred Edward Brittlebank, corn merchants
£33350 1s 10d

If you are looking for any help with further information just post again  :)

Edit to add
 you can search for the probate record here
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk