Author Topic: Stortz family in England (Rochdale & London)  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Stortz family in England (Rochdale & London)
« on: Thursday 23 September 04 15:48 BST (UK) »
I am interested in anyone connected to or has information on Philip Christian Stortz 1926-1882, artist and photographer.Wives... Isabella DeBruyne and Margaret Marsden. Children who survived into adulthood, Camile 1858-1925- married Victoria Stammers, and Ida 1860-1930 who married William Cowdrey in Rochdale Lancs in 1890.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Stortz family in England.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harleychick

Are you doing a One Name Study on the entire family name or are you just after information on these particular individuals? 

If the latter is the case I will gladly move the post for you to a more relevant board which may help to generate a response for you.   Please let me have any information on possible locations (County etc.) so I can place it in the right board.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Stortz family in England.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 05 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,
Just interested in the names mentioned in the text thankyou. Living rellies  will be  in the London area, and Rochdale, Lancashire.
Many thanks.
Sheila :D

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Stortz family in England (Rochdale & London)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 05 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila

Thanks for your reply.

I'll move it to the Common Room then as it covers two areas - otherwise it could have gone to one of the County Boards.  If we don't have any succes there we can always try a different board later.

Good luck

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 05 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ticker :)
Sheila

I should add that I have the names mentioned on the census returns 1861 to 1901, except for Philip who I cant find on the 1871. I am mainly looking for living rellies who can perhaps  fill in the gaps in the Stortz story.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
The Greater Manchester County Record Office seems to hold some of his work (www.a2a.org.uk)  Three family photos of the Gwyer family are listed with photgrapher Stortz, and two Carte de Visite are listed as from 'Stortz's Art Studio, 6 ½ Upper Parade, Leamington'

You might try finding wills/probate records for this family, particularly Camille Stortz - they are likely to mention married names of daughters/names of other relatives.
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/topics/wills_3.htm

If they owned businesses (which it seems they did) it is very likely that there will be estate records.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jorose,
Since I posted the message, I have found the photos mentioned in Manchester records office, and they sent me thumbnails of the  photos, and I have been able to purchase others from dealers which was very moving for me.Leamington Spa library were very helpful, and found me newspaper adverts for his business.he had two studios, one on Bold St. Liverpool and Upper Parade, leamington.
I have found a Stortz and Son photographers in 1897 at Tottenham Court Road in London, but Philip Stortz died in Brighton in 1882 and his son Camile's son died as a baby, but I think it must be them. Camile may have thought"and son" sounded more established.
Ihave asked on various sites for info. on how to find tax returns or accounts or any trade directory etc. that would give their first names to confirm tat the business could be Camile. Camile had photography businesses in Watford and Herts. and I have found that two of his daughters married names were Parsons and Edgerton.
I now have to find the following.
Where was Philip on the 1871 census . I have found rest of family.
When did Philip's wife die, as I can find no record.
If and when he married second partner Margaret Marsden, nee Coleshill,
and i can find no trace of his grave, dispite searching Brighton records. and his bankruptcy records for 1867 in the Manchester papers, my next task.
I'm sure it will all come together one day, with help from so many great people.
Regards Sheila.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 11:33 BST (UK) »
Searched the Times for you today as well (summaries as these are images only)

The Times, Monday, Jul 16, 1860; pg. 1; Issue 23673; col A  (classified ad)

P. C. Stortz, of Liverpool - photographs of the officers of the Duke of Lancasters Own Rifles (militia) have been submitted to H.R.H. the Prince Consort, at Osborn-house,  on the 12th inst. and are now on VIEW at Mitchel's library, 33, Old Bond-street.

The Times Wednesday, Jul 18, 1860; pg. 1; Issue 23675; col A
- same ad run again.

The Times, Tuesday, May 26, 1863; pg. 16; Issue 24568; col A
-another ad.  Stortz's Gallery, Bold-street, Liverpool, are offering for sale by tender the stock (7000 negatives, cameras, lenses) and the remainder of the lease.  Since the recent fire the premises have been throughly repaired and decorated (!).  The contact person listed is J. T. Ellerbeck of 18 Bold-street - are you familiar with this person? Must have been some sort of business partner.

Same ad ran May 28.

That's all, although there is the mention in 1941 of a marriage of a daughter of 'the late Ida Stortz Brown'... could this be a relative?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose,
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!
Thankyou for the information you sent,it goes someway to solving what happened to the family.
I have sent you a private E. Mail.
 I cant thank you enough
Sheila.