Author Topic: Bettie or Elizabeth Holland 1870  (Read 8146 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bettie or Elizabeth Holland 1870
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 06 18:45 GMT (UK) »

Sorry i have no idea of her mothers name either but her sister was called Harriet Holland and became Brooks in 1880.

I guess this was the wrong Elizabeth, then if you have her on the 1901 England...but I just reread this and saw that you have no idea of mother's name...does this mean you know the father's first name???
Please divulge more information if you have it...as parent's names on the listings wil help to locate proper answers....

Plus your Harriet, is she in Canada also?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lucy Beale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 06 23:09 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Holland on the 1901 census in Bermondsey. I don't know if she is any connection to my family, it was just a random guess.
My Grandmothers father was James Brooks and he married someone called Harriett.
I found the following on the BMD listing for England which would fit:
England & Wales, FreeBMD Index: 1837-1983
BROOKS, James William 1888 September Marriages St Saviour Southwark London Surrey
Holland, Harriett 1888 September Marriages St Saviour Southwark London Surrey
1891 Census lists  a James William Brooks living at 14 Ernest Street, Bermondsey, London with his wife Harriet Brooks and son Francis R Brooks.
1901 census lists Francis as Frank R Brooks living with siblings also his parents in Bermondsey. James William is a clothes dyer the same as the 1891 entry.

Offline Lucy Beale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 February 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »

I don't think my Harriet Brooks and James Brooks where married until 1888 in England. I couldn't find any other entries for a Harriet (nee?) and James Brooks on the BMD index.
BROOKS, James William 1888 September Marriages St Saviour Southwark London Surrey
Holland, Harriett 1888 September Marriages St Saviour Southwark London Surrey
It was the sister of Harriet called Elizabeth (nickname Bettie) who i know for sure emigrated to Canada. I have no record of her sister Harriet and her brother in law James living in Canada
Also i have no idea of their parents names.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow, there are a lot of Bettie and Elizabeth Hollands to sift through in England
as well as many already in canada...so parents will be pretty important here if we are to find this one... ...any other sibling's? Tell us all that you know on the England side and let's see if we can find the right family first....J.J.

I only found one 1881 family with a Harriet and an Elizabeth...I will p.m. it to you, as we have lots of mud already in the water with this one, right?  As it could be they just weren't in the same household... and I have no idea if the town you speak of is in Surrey or London or where as it's listed as all over...One of thiose county changes I guess was it?

maybe you need to search your family genealogy out in England  before we try the Canadian side...seems as though there are many unknowns here...

J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com