Author Topic: N.Augusta Ontario?  (Read 9263 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
N.Augusta Ontario?
« on: Sunday 05 February 06 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone near N. Augusta Ontario who could look in the cemetery at St Peters Anglican church to see [ photograph?] the grave of Richard GRAHAM died 1861, and Mary GRAHAM died 1869 please?

I'm specially interested in what may be on the headstone as Mary Graham married again after Richard died, and that was such an unsatisfactory marriage- to my greatgrandfather!- that she was buried with husband number one and under his surname, Graham.  She also left husband #2 out of her will- leaving quite decent amounts of $ to other people.

Any help much appreciated.
 thanks
Charlotte

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: N.Augusta Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 06 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

Sorry, I'm not near North Augusta, but you try the web site Random Acts of Kindness and perhaps you could find someone there to go and take a picture for you.

What was the name of Mary's second husband?  Is her death registered under his name?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 06 05:37 GMT (UK) »
John HUMPHRIES was his name.
 Don't know about how her death was registered but her will was made in her legal name at that time- Mary Humphries.  I guess she'd be wary of anything that would have allowed him to dispute things!

The HUMPHRIES family are all in the Blue Chruch cem. and Mary's absence tipped me off that things might be a bit unusual there. Sure was right on that.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 06 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Found her death registration

Date of Death:  8 January 1871, says she was 91 years old. 

She is listed as a widow and the informant on her death was John Humphries, Augusta

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 06 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Thank you very much.  The info about her age only confirms what I already know about John HUMPHRIES.  His first wife in Somerset was about 15 years older- and presumably had some money.  He seems to have been a charmer of older women.

May I ask a futher question?  have you a death for  James HUMPHRIES  b.c.1810 England,  and dying somehere in Ont. probably nr Prescott or N Augusta?

Thanks for your help. 

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 06 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

There's a death registration for John Humphries

When Died:  June 19, 1881
Rank or Profession:  Yeoman
Where born:  England
Cause of Death:  Approplexy, three days
Signature of Informant:  Wm Jones, Prescott (looks like the Dr.)

Maybe because Mary was so old and was not married to Mr. Humphries for too long, that's why she was buried with her first husband who she had spent most of her life with?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Here he is in 1871, just notes that the head of household is a different name:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 06 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is their marriage, was Mary's maiden name Hopkins?

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 06 21:25 GMT (UK) »
So he was with a Younger woman in 1881 just prior to his demise - Hannah BRIGGS ...wonder if she had money...

Perhaps he might have seen to it  that she not go in there, when he found himself cut from the will?
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com