Author Topic: george reed  (Read 4357 times)

Offline sooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
george reed
« on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:51 BST (UK) »
does anyone have a george reed born 1884 islington in their family tree?
he was my grandmothers first husband
they married 25th dec 1903 at st pauls finsbury
his address at that time was 18 peerless st shoreditch(?)and his occupation was box cutter(they muist have met through work as my gran was a fancy box maker)
his father is shown as william reed occupation carman
i would love to know what happened to him
the last record i have of him is my aunts birth cert dated 1908 address at this time was 19 shepherdess walk shorditch occupation cardboard box cutter (journeyman)

if any of this sounds familia to anyone, let me know

sooze
woolmer , stephens
bocking, romford

Offline JSFinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: george reed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 04 13:50 BST (UK) »
Sooze

Not what you're really after, but a bit of extra colour perhaps.

I don't have any Reed connection, but at the same time as your George Reed, my Banbury family were living in Galway Street and Lizard Street which are on the other side of Bath Street from Peerless Street near to Old Street in Finsbury.  The women from this part of my family, in the 1890s, also were in the boxmaking trade so there must have been a big factory nearby. This is one of the things I planned to look into, so if you've any more info I'd be pleased to hear it.

Peerless Street is still there but almost all of this area was redeveloped in the 1950s and 1960s. I remember it from my childhood visits to grandparents.

St Pauls church was in Central Street, but no longer exists, the parish being combined into St Clements in King Square, Goswell Road.

Other family connections in this area are Newman, and Barratt.

John

Finn (Surrey & Walworth, London),  Murfitt (Newington, Surrey/London), Banbury or Bambury (St Lukes, Middx/London), Newman (London City), Lane (St Giles, Middx/London),  Cooper (Lambeth, Surrey), Kellert (London, Poland/Russia)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: george reed
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
You might find this web site interesting. It shows Shoreditch  as it was in Victorian times - not an ideal place to live!
http://www.thhol.freeserve.co.uk/raglon04.html
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk