Author Topic: 1841 / 1851 census lookup please berwick  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Paulswinney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 / 1851 census lookup please berwick
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 March 20 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I know this thread was last active quite some time ago, but I’m a Swinney from Sunderland who descended from this line.

I’m curious about the move of George Hasker and his wife to Liverpool and the return of the family to Spittal seemingly without him. There is no record of George’s death (a George Hasker dies in Spittal in 1846 but this is a relative), but surely there must be some information somewhere?

I’m also keen to know any information people have about family before George.

Can anyone help?

Offline spg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hope this helps, it has also been a while since I looked at these records...

George Hasker Swinney
Born 17th Jan 1819
Parents - William Swinney & Ann Brown of Spittal
Grandparents – John Swinney & Isabell Hasker of Spittal

Died 22nd Oct 1847
Ref no: 2135 (George Sweeney)
Page 267 Burials of St John’s Church in Parish of Liverpool 1847
25 Sawney Pope Street
Liverpool

Married to Jane Wilkinson
23rd Sept 1838
Lamberton Toll
Near Berwick
Scotland

Jane returns to Spittal with my ancestor, Robert Swinney b. 1841

see 1841 Census page 33&34 – number 14 on the sheet, they have been listed as 'Sunny' shows George married to Jane with son William living in Front Street, shown as a 'Cooper'

Irregular Marriages - Lamberton Toll Marriages 1837-1849, entry 462, Vol 1, pg 15, Sept. 23rd 1838
George H Swinney to Jane Wilkinson both of Spittal (Spittle)

Witness - James Swinney and Isabella Jamison

Found 2 documents online, burial and death registration, spellings for Sweeney and Sweeny think this must be a match? - GRO record certificate shows death registered by Ellen Crone (?) of the same address, show as a friend?

We are also of Sunderland!

Swinney,Swinhoe, Peel, Fairman, Howard, Clucas, Fisk, Sleightholme, Millighan, Meenaghan

Offline Paulswinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 07:53 GMT (UK) »
That is incredibly helpful, thank you! Does the death certificate say how George died? He would only have been in his 20s.

Robert is my 3rd great granda. His youngest son Andrew (who died at the Somme) is my 2nd great granda.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
You would need to purchase the death certificate to get the details:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline spg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, sorry I don't have the death cert. you could see if you can find it online. I've stopped doing the research but have my records, lots of which are from the Berwick Archives office. This particular Swinney was difficult to find due to the splling error in the transcription. However, it fits.

Just note for interest, George's father, William was previosly married to a Margaret Forster. He remarried when she passed away and had two children with his new wife, Robert b. 1817 & George Hasker b. 1819.

Is the Robert you refer to the son of George & Jane? He was married to Ellen Tait and is my 2nd Great Grandfather and I think this is when they moved to Sunderland to work at the new foundry at Monkwearmouth. So, if my records are correct your Andrew is the brother of my Great grandfather? My Grandfather is Robert Tait's son, again Robert Tait Swinney who married Annie Harty.

Small world!

Swinney,Swinhoe, Peel, Fairman, Howard, Clucas, Fisk, Sleightholme, Millighan, Meenaghan

Offline Paulswinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's right. Andrew lived in Penshaw for some time, then moved to Ford. My branch then moved to South Hylton, and my nana is still there now. My granda founded Swinney Skip Hire which you've no doubt seen around. I haven't come across any other Swinneys in Sunderland so was surprised to go into the history and see that there were so many as a result of Robert's move!

I knew Robert was an iron moulder, but I didn't know he moved to Sunderland with Ellen because of the foundry at Monkwearmouth. Good work in finding that out!

How far were you able go go back before William?

Offline spg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I can go back a long way although the links are a bit difficult. I used the archives up in Berwick. I will see what I can share for you athough this system is a little old and not very user friendly. My paper notes go back to 1500s but it is hard to be exact... I believe our family comes from the village/hamlet of Swinhoe and if my memory serves me right one of the links is disputed, this is the 2nd marriage part I mentioned...

I will pass on the comments to my Aunty who lives in Sunderland as she will know of your family, or at least she will definitely know the company whom I have hard of. I don't live in Sunderland but not 100 miles away. It is quite nice to talk about something other than the news!

Best wishes

Offline Paulswinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 March 20 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is nice to have something else to focus on!

That would be fantastic - I'd be really keen to see and very grateful for anything you're able to pull out.