Author Topic: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada  (Read 21591 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castelnovo children sent out to Smith Falls Canada
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 January 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
What a great and happy photo!  ;D  J.J.

p.s. I'll peek art the ship's list and post a link here in this same posting when I find it... J.J.

http://tinyurl.com/28kxt8  Millicent on page 27
Says destination Ottawa...Sent to Canada under the auspices of the Catholic Emigration Society

George on page  35, part of Miss Joyce's party.... http://tinyurl.com/yv54bf
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 June 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello there!

Four years on and I am still looking for any information on Millicent and George Albert Castelnovo once they arrived in Canada.

I've managed to locate them (living separately and in orphanages) in the England 1911 census.  George is at the Saint Joseph's Home, Holtwhite's Hill, Enfield.  Run by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.
In 1903 The Catholic Emigration Association was formed. It conducted the emigration of all Catholic Children of 18 years and under from the British Isles to Canada.  George sailed on the "Lake Manitoba" - Canadian Pacific Railway Company - arrived Quebec 09 1911 and Montreal 12 09 1911 - part of Mrs Joyce's party.  Apparently bound for Wellington, Ontario.

Millicent in 1911 is living at St Vincent Orphanage for Girls (also run by nuns.) Berrington Street, Hereford, England.
Millicent Castlelove Age 9. Arrived at Montreal on the Victorian 6 Oct 1911.

Any updates or advice on where to look next?

Thanks.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 June 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
So sad that they were separated at such a young age.

The Canada 1921 census is due to be released in 2013 so perhaps that may shed some light on their whereabouts.

If the Wellington, ON that George was going to was Wellington County it might be worth contacting the Wellington Museum at this link to inquire whether there is any info about where a group of boys from England would have been sent in 1911. I undersatand that the Vimy Ridge Training Farm in Guelph, Wellington County was only established after WW1 (you can do a search for threads about it on RootsChat to learn more) so I don't think that was a option at the time, but perhaps there was a similar place.

http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/GetMuseumProfile.do?lang=en&chinCode=guwcmt1

Have you tried tracing info through the Catholic Emigration Association/Society?

Also, have you tried to trace records for the St George's Home in Ottawa where Millicent may have first been sent?

In case you haven't seen this .... I think I have seen a contact address for records but can't seem to find it at the moment ... I'll look further.

http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/st-georges-home---ottawa.html

PB

Added: here is the website with contact addresses ... there are a number to sort through after you click on 'addresses' near the bottom.

http://jubilation.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/children/Organizations/catholic.html

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 August 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Well,  I had a strange but sad breakthrough last night...decided to google George Castelnova as I constantly do and was redirected to the following records on Ancestry.  After all this time, I think I have definitely found my George but so so sad to think he died so young. My grandmother his half sister was 15 or16 at the time. The writing on the document isn't particularly clear but I have tried to decipher it as best I can.

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Druid Collection) 1621 - 1967
Buckingham St Gregoire de Nazaine
"On the fifteeth day of May one thousand nine hundred and twenty two, us the undersigned present have officiated in the funeral service of George Castelnova an orphan from St George's Home Ottawa who died in this parish on the thirteeth instead (?) at the age of twenty one years.  Were present at the burial Urban Baker and Desmond Baker who signed with us.

The document is signed by Aol Read (?)
Urban Baker and Desmond Baker
(The name at the top of the document appears to read Emile Fandry)

So now I have a whole load of new questions....Did George marry before he died?..unlikely as no relatives appear to have attended the funeral..just the Baker brothers or possibly father and son Urban and Desmond. Who were they?  Friends or maybe his employers? What was he doing in Buckingham now part of Gatineau?  I have gleaned from Wikipedia that it was a centre for the lumber industry so he could have been working there in that field of work.  Did he die of natural causes or could it have been a work related accident?  How can I obtain his death certificate? Can I trace him on the 1921 census?   

Still no sign of Millicent his sister.  Interestingly Buckingham is only 87 KM away from Smiths Falls....an hour's drive today but still not prohibitive in 1922.

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 05:46 BST (UK) »
Going back to the 1911 census, there are a Desmond and Urban, brothers...Father Fred's occupation a farmer...Wondering if perhaps he may have been sent to help on the farm... altho Fred already had many sons to help out... The three lads may have been employed together elsewhere a decade later.
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=110983

See Urban married Ottawa Ontario: Urban Frederick Baker/ Agnes Muriel Dunnigan
but don't have access to see when it took place...

Ah, see it must have been later, as Urban's wife is living with Desmond & wife in U.S. 1930 census  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X796-7WF
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
I have to admit I am not familiar enough with the 1921 or the Labelle area to see where they might be in the census, as I don't see Buckingham on the list .... Saint Gregoire de Naziance cemetery is  listed as Papineau County...so best to let an experienced Quebec researcher find the information for you, or point out which area to look into  ( ;) that would be you, P.B. ? ;D)
http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=8991

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ for your help.  I also tried to have a look at the 1921 census but couldn't find Papineau on the list and have no idea where to look for Buckingham.  Guess I need some help in that area...maybe P.B? :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello folks.

You will find Buckingham under the district of Hull in the 1921 census.

Buckingham is currently part of the greater municipality of Gatineau, which also includes Hull and several other area towns. Amalgamation took place about 10 years ago.

Happy hunting  :)

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline madridmama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB I'll have a look for Hull....another English place name alongside Buckingham...!