Author Topic: McVeety Philadelphia  (Read 4761 times)

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McVeety Philadelphia
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 February 06 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found William McVeety on the census in Manchester in 1861, his wife was Rebecca. Living next door was Richard Ballam ( Balaam) and family.
The first McVeety I have found in Manchester was George, who married Margaret Balaam i.e. Catherine's grandparents. Both George and Margaret came to Manchester from Cavan N.Ireland.
I am beginning to wonder if the Ballams and McVeety's might have moved together again! longshot!!

Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Colleen Veety

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 April 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
My name is Colleen Veety. I was born in Scranton Pa. My grandfather William Veety (was McVeety) was the son of Thomas Veety/McVeety born somewhere in Cavan Ireland.

Most likely all the same family.
I go to Ireland every year in May, because I really like it there...wonderful country,
However...this year I would like to go to Cavan to where my Great grandfather Thomas was born and take many pictures for family here.
Thomas was born July 12th, 1938. So easy to remember as I was born on July 12th as well.
Thomas married a lady named Bessie (Elizabeth) Smith from England and they together came to America in 1868....that is what the local records show in Scranton Pa. They had 7 children together.
I can not find out where in Cavan he was born. The Pa census says that hs parents were born there as well..but never their names, so can not find out where in Cavan.
If anyone can help...that woud be wonderful.
We are most likely all related as most Veety's are from Caven. In the early 1700's....they are listed in Cumberland England. We may have much to share.
Thank you,
Colleen

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi 
Did your ancestors have any connection with cotton mills. My grandmother went to stay with her uncle and I believe he got her a job in a cotton mill where he had some kind of supervisory position.

regards

Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Colleen Veety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 May 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply. I have waited a few days, hoping to find more information....what a tough last name to find info.
I do not have any iformation about any of the children of Thomas McVeety and Bessie Smith (his wife from England) having any children that worked in the cotton mills.
I can not even find out if Thomas (my great grandfather) had any siblings that came over as well. I can not find his parents in Ireland. Thomas arrived here in 1868 ish (have read 1869 as well). He arrived to work in the coal mines in Scranton Pa. He then bought a farm. They did have 7 children and they did scatter about (children). Only a few stayed in the Scranton area...worked in the coal mines as well and then bought up farming land. Most of the children did leave the area. Thomas McVeety did have a daughter named Catherine.
I am having such a hard time finding info from Cavan as many of their research sites, the email address sites are no longer working.
I am going to be in Cavan in 10 days....it would have been nice to take pictures of the McVeetys lands there...but is not looking good. I am afraid I will not have the time to do actual research there, if i did , I could look up your info as well.
Have you found any reliable resources? If not..I will keep trying and will keep you in mind as well.
Thanks,
Colleen

I am going to Ireland with my British friend from  Accrington, she has been trying to help me from over there as well...lets hope.

Offline Colleen Veety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
 Colleen again..
Also...I have a newspaper article about  Henry and Thomas Mc Veety getting into a bit of trouble in Cavan (1862)...you may have seen it.
My grandfathers name was William....so we have many similar names together and one can bet they are all connected.

Regards...
Colleen

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 May 11 02:54 BST (UK) »
The 1895 Philadelphia city directory has Wm. McVeety, a machinist, living at 2340 Biddle. 

Offline Colleen Veety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 May 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply.
My G Grandfather was Thomas (Ireland) and his son William was my grandfather.
He worked in the Scranton coal mines, like his dad, saved his money and bought up farm land outside of Scranton and it remains still in our family.

I have also found out..that in the 1880 US census...they spelled his name Viety. Then the following it was Veety.

We also always heard as kids...that the family was Scotch Irish..although at least 2 generations in Ireland.

In the past 24 hours...I did find Thomas..Elizabeth and James Viety who were Flax growers in Leitrim.
Many were Scotch Irish. This was in 1796 that they were listed.
These names are in our family so I am very hopeful.

They have a ID number...but can not figure out where to find info on their ID numbers. It may tell much.
Would anyone on here know?
Veety..or Viety...my bet are the same family (mc as well) who originated on the borders of England and Scotland starting in the late 1600's (documented).
This is such a long road..my my!
But thank you all for anything you may know.
Regards,
Colleen

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 May 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Colleen again..
Also...I have a newspaper article about  Henry and Thomas Mc Veety getting into a bit of trouble in Cavan (1862)...you may have seen it.
My grandfathers name was William....so we have many similar names together and one can bet they are all connected.

Regards...
Colleen

Was this trouble to do with horses?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Colleen Veety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Thomas Viety/Veety..born in Ireland 7/12/1838
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 March 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I was on here a couple years ago..have found a little more out.
G. Grandfather was listed as Thomas Viety when arrived in America. Was then changed to Veety.
Both of his parents were born in Ireland..may have been flax growers in Leitrim. Before his time..but may be X2 grandparents.
Thomas in America is 1867.
Thomas married a Elizabeth Smith from England. Do not know if he married her in England or when he arrived in America.
Does anyone know of a Elizabeth Smith that married Thomas Viety or Veety in England? Could be Ireland. I have hit a stone wall. Thank you to anyone who can help.