Author Topic: mariiage certificates  (Read 1029 times)

Offline sdgray22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
mariiage certificates
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help me
I have a marriage in Gotham Notts Henry Price married Hannah Bowley 25/12/1831 thats a definite I have a copy of the entry from the Notts Archives.  BUT what I really need to know is Henrys fathers name .  As far as I know Henry was born in either Gotham or Arnold in Nottinghamshire around 1812 to 1816.  Henry is in the census returns for 1841,1851,and 1861 in Gotham as FWK. In these census returns he is listed in one as born in Arnold about 1813 and in another as born in Gotham about 1813 I can find neither birth.  The only thing I can think that notes down a fathers name is a marriage certificate (bit the is pre 1837) so not so easy - was there such a thing as a marriage certificate if so how do I get hold of it.  If I could find the birth registration that might help by naming the father and mother, but as I said I cant find it.  can anybody give me any advice
 ???

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: mariiage certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to say the marriage entry you have from Notts Archive will be the only one there is.  The only clues which might help are the witnesses names - family members were often witnesses.  Also if the marriage was by license then a copy of the marriage bond should be obtained as it might provide further clues. Henry would have to find a sponsor or bondsman and he would be either a relative or close friend.

Apart from this you will have to look at the IGI and any other similar indexes you can find.  Notts FHS are indexing baptisms and burials for the whole county but whether they have done Gotham and Arnold I do not know. 

Good Luck with the searching.