Author Topic: Any hope for improvement?  (Read 3591 times)

Offline mystcarrie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Any hope for improvement?
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate any help in improving this photo.
Many thanks in advance.
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any hope for improvement?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mystcarrie

I'm afraid to say this, but this picture may have slipped into the "unrescuable" category. If not, it is very close to the limits of what can reasonably be repaired at home without highly expensive scanning and analysis software and hardware.

As you can see, there is still a picture there, but the damage is quite substantial and will take a lot of manipulation to bring out anything approaching a good result.

If you could rescan the photo part at a higher resolution and larger size there may just be a chance of a repair. No promises though. This is an incredibly difficult repair.

Glen

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,

Thanks so much for the giving the photo a try.  What would you recommend as a DPI for rescan?.  The first was scanned at 150 DPI.  I tried 300 and the file was too big to post on this site, unless I crop it down a bit.

Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carrie

I always try to scan at least 600 dpi for home repairs, but 300 dpi should be adequate here.

If you crop out all of the frame, what size does it come to? If its not significantly more than 300kb, you may be able to reduce it slightly with your photo software, or it may be an idea to try www.yousendit.com where you can post up to 1gb, although that unfortunately would rule me out, since I'm still stuck in dial-up modem land and have trouble with any files over 5 or 6mb.

I'm also "running in" a new mouse since my last old faithfull one finally decided not to play ball after seven long years of (mostly) trusty service, so I don't know how well this new, spangly wireless optical jobbie will cope with the way I work. (Just a couple of ready-made excuses in case I can't do anything with the picture!)

Glen

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Glen,

I managed to crop and cut enough to get it under 300KB's at 300DPI.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm horrified, but shall try something - even though it will be quite a while before a result, no promises though. One final request, can you rescan it at the same size and resolution but with the pic' turned 90degrees.
                                              Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carrie

That rescan seems to have had just enough info in it to work on. I've been having a bit of a fiddle over the last hour or so, and it looks like there is the beginnings of a picture starting to emerge. This is going to be a long, long, long job, probably several weeks on and off, but I think (my fingers are crossed as well!) that I may possibly be able to get something approaching a picture from this.

There are two very sweet looking kids hiding behind all that grime and I will try my hardest to clean them up. Here is what I've got so far, but this is just a very, very rough first go to see what is there.

Lots, lots more to do, and I'm not at all happy about the older ones face at the moment, but its early days and they will definitely change over the course of time.

I'll keep you posted on progress as and when there is any!

Glen

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Denn,

Here you go.  Hope this gives you something to work with.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, boys (and mystcarrie!), I shall be keeping an eye on this one, that's for sure!  I cannot wait to see what you can come up with!

/sits back with popcorn and waits patiently/

;D

Prue