Author Topic: Any hope for improvement?  (Read 3600 times)

Offline mystcarrie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any hope for improvement?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Glen.
 I can see there may be some hope yet.  My grandfather is hiding in all that grime.  I really appreciate all your efforts, and will look forward to hearing from you.

Carrie

Prue---- 'Pass the popcorn' ~as we wait patiently~   ;)
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carrie

No update at the moment. I'm at work and just having a look while I'm at lunch (I have to say that in case any management see me!).

The rotated picture looks like its been done using software to turn it through 90 degrees. It has identical dimensions and the cropping seems to be the same.

I think Denn would like the actual photograph flipped through 90 degrees and rescanned.

I know it sounds odd, but this can add information which otherwise may be missed. This is something I've learned since coming to this forum. It can make quite a difference to the actual scanned image depending on which direction the light from the scanner hits imperfections on the photo, and scratches and marks can almost disappear when scanned at different angles.

I am guessing that your grandfather is the little one in the high chair. The older one definitely looks like a girl, but its difficult to tell since they both appear to be wearing skirts. I think that was the norm for young kids though, wasn't it?

Now I can go for a slightly more boyish face for your grandfather

Glen

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
OOps, thanks for pointing the rotation thingy out to me.  I'll give it another try...LOL.  It crossed my mind as to why I would have to rescan it in order to flip it. Duh! 

Yes, the little one in the high chair is my grandfather and the older child is his sister.  I have another picture of the family in which one brother is dressed so much like a little girl that, without confirmation, I would be still looking for her! (Him)

Regards!
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 13:13 GMT (UK) »
        Back online. yeh that's what I wanted, as an update there is a reasonable amount of info there - but still a lot of work.

Here is where I am. Note what I have called the pic! (sorry).

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Denn,

Nice file name  ;)

Looking good. 

I'll look forward to hearing more.  Greatly appreciated!

Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
**Update Number 1**

Okay, I've chickened out a bit and am waiting till I can get a firmer idea in my head for the childrens faces, but I've done some work on the lower part of the picture.

Grandads skirt (?!) is now freshly laundered and looking soft and silky, and great-aunts skirt has also had a spot of Daz (or probably OMO at that time) on it and is as neat as could be expected under the circumstances.

Grandads right boot has emerged, and it looked to me like it has a tab on for pulling it on. Not being even remotely an expert on antique footware (in the under five category) I can only have a wild stab at its appearance, but it looks physically possible to me.

His jacket looks nice and warm with those fur collars and cuffs, and it seems to me that he is wearing a soft cap of some kind.

I must say that so far this has been a lot more enjoyable to do than at first appearances, and Im actually looking forward to working on it at the end of a hard day in front of the computer at work.

More soon...

Glen

Offline catherinefine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely wonderful Glen  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 February 06 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thats amazing!, and very exciting.  Glad to hear your finding it somewhat enjoyable.  I find the updates quite fascinating.
Keep up the good work.

Looking forward to your next post,
Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 February 06 22:21 GMT (UK) »
**Update Number 2**

Sorry, not had much time in the last couple of days to work on this so only a minor bit of an update today.

A bit more general cleaning down the bottom of the picture and a small area on great-aunts arm. Also grandads face is near enough done. Great aunt still looks rather too mean for my liking so I may have to go back to the drawing board with her. I started on her hair, but again it looks too severe. I'm still very much undecided how her hair should look at the sides; whether there should be bunches and ribbons, or whether it should just look a bit fluffy.

The whole thing also looks too much like a drawing to me, but I really have no clue how to make it look more natural and photographic. Ho hum

Glen