Author Topic: Possible date please?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline mystcarrie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Possible date please?
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
This is not the original.   Could someone please enlighten me as to a date of this photo.  The fabric in the ladies dress throws me off.  Also, any hints in the photo would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible date please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 21:11 GMT (UK) »
1850s

Certainly very early in photography terms.  She seems to be wearing something approaching a crinoline, dropped shoulders on the dress with slightly fuller sleeves near the wrist,  and his hair style.  I suppose it could be 1860s if she is preserving her wardrobe!  But no later (in my humble opinion).

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Well thank you so much Nell.   Very interesting!.   I have no idea who the photo is, only that it is family.  I'm thinking that perhaps a date may help to indentify.

Any other takers????

Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
     A couple of these have been posted recently, so I'd say 1850-60. I wont say more because I know that when Prue sees it she will be able to give you  some usefull info'. Plus, I wont feel a fool if I get things wrong.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:17 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Denn you're a dag  ;D You can say what you want, you're usually right anyway!  :)

Carrie, it looks like a "wet collodion positive on glass", sometimes known as an ambrotype.  We had a discussion about them here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,124597.0.html not long ago.

It probably dates from the 1850s-early 1860s...I'll have a better look at the clothes and get back to you if I can narrow it down a bit more!

Cheers
Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:18 GMT (UK) »
P.S. It's almost definitely a wedding photograph - look at the way the lady is showing off her wedding ring, and it's been picked out in gold paint too.

Offline mystcarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys for the useful information.  We perhaps narrowed it down to a wedding photo mid 1800's. I was thinking the fabric in the ladies dress rather odd for that time period.  Would there be any hints in the fashion as to the country of origin?.   :-\
I'm looking forward to what you might come up with Prue.

Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carrie,
This is a difficult one.  Usually you can rely on the ladies to be the most up to date with their fashions, but in this case she's wearing a most unusual one-piece dress, apparently with no corset and no big petticoats or skirt frame.  I think I can use the man's appearance though - full facial hair and the stiff little bow tie point to a late 1850s date.
I think I need to look at it some more to be more definite.
Do you know where it is probably from? 
Prue

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 20:35 GMT (UK) »
probably totally wrong but it puts me in mind of mid 1800's America photographs for some reason they have a more "relaxed" formallity about them.

old rowely
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop