Author Topic: EDWARD JOHN OWEN AND FAMILY - HOLYHEAD  (Read 4678 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
EDWARD JOHN OWEN AND FAMILY - HOLYHEAD
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was born Edward John Owen in Feb 1884 in 14 Baptist Street, Holyhead. His mother, according to the birth certificate, was Margaret Owen and his father is not named. He was registered by his Grandmother Ann Owen of the same address. I have checked the address in 1881 census and found the family lived there at that time but no sign of Margaret. I checked the 1871 census but that part of Holyhead is missing even in the records office.

In 1891 I found him under the name of Edward John Roberts and he was living at 52 Vulcan Street with his aunt Elizabeth E Owen nee Roberts. In 1901 he is back to Edward John Owen and working at a farm on Holyhead Mountain.

He married in November 1905 and married Mary Jones. His address was Foel, Holyhead Mountain and his father's name was John Roberts - Seaman (Deceased). I checked Elizabeth Owen out and found her to be the sister of John Roberts who was a Ship's Carpenter - he lived with her in 1881 census.

Edward and Mary had two or three sons - Edward b 1906, Richard b 1908 and we think William b 1910 or aroundabout that time. When Richard, my grandfather, was very young he was sent to live with "Auntie" Harriet as his mother had died. We don't know about Edward or William. Harriet always said she was Edward's sister but on checking her birth cert her mother is named as Ellen Owen, no fathers name and mother Ann Owen but living at a different address up on Holyhead Mountain. The "parents" of Margaret were still living in the centre of Holyhead so this is where the problems start!

Edward married another lady - Kate Elizabeth Evans (date not known) and they had 10 children and 3 stilll live in Holyhead. He died 5th March 1964 aged 78 in Holyhead and Kate died 1984 aged 91 in Holyhead.

Does anyone have any link to this family and can solve the problem of how the are both linked though have different mothers! A relative we found said that Harriet was an Evans when she married though her birth cert states Owen. She also told us of two brothers and a sister of Harriets - Thomas who married Sarah and had a daughter Brenda, David who married Ada from Liverpool and Elizabeth who we think moved to America. There is also a mention of an Agness Owen b 1864 who married a Williams and her brother William b 1860

The house mentioned for Harriet is Tan yr add in Holyhead

Anyone with any info please let me know - this is causing more headaches that it should lol

Thanks for reading

Carol   ???
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>