Author Topic: CLAVEY  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: CLAVEY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure how much you know about the family, but I've tracked a bit about them, although there are one or two gaps. Charles Henry Clavey, your g. grandfather was born in East Harptree in 1894 (baptised there 1895) and he married Caroline Beatrice Payne on March 27th 1916 according to his war record. If you haven't seen the war record, I'll send you more details. He had several more siblings than those you mention, including a boy named Redvers, born in 1901 (shades of the Boer War hero!).

His parents were Richard (Ford) Clavey and Louisa Moon, married in Bedminster registration district in the March q. 1873 (ref 5c 1038) with his surname spelt CLEVEY. Louisa is presumably the child baptised at West Harptree in 1851, dau. of James and Jane. I expect you have seen Richard in 1871 in Wales with a cousin of some sort? Beyond that it's a bit of guesswork as I can see Richard with his parents, James and Caroline in early Census' but I can't find a marriage for them anywhere (parish register or FreeBMD). I think James must be the son of James and Martha who was baptised in Chewton on August 20th, 1820, and Caroline (if she is Caroline Ford as I suspect) could be the one baptised in Chewton on September 15th, 1823, dau. of James and Fanny. Without a marriage certificate for James and Caroline we can't be sure, but it is true they both claimed to have been born in Chewton. Several of the baptisms of the children are in the registers and it is possible to go back further with these lines if you want.

Do you have access to Ancestry? it is often available in libraries foc. and this would give you a chance to see the register entries and follow the families back if you wish,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Caroline Clavey's maiden name is certainly Ford - I checked the GRO indices which now give mothers' maiden names and that confirms it. Strangely though I can find no registration for their eldest son, Henry although he may be the Henry Ford registered in Wells district (with no mother's maiden name indicating likely illegitimacy) in March q 1846

Steve
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline Claveyminty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for the reply. You have filled a few gaps for me.

I will have a look at the ancestory site.

Would you mind sending me the information on the war records.

I really appreciate your help and time.
Thanks again

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to say, there is a baptism for Henry, son of Caroline Ford at Chewton Mendip on April 12th 1846, so that must be the eldest child - whether or not it was James' we can't tell although he obviously accepted him as he appears as "son" in later censuses.

I have found some rather distressing things about the family now and will send you a PM

Steve
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 April 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
   Not sure if I am adding any to the mix other than confusion...but I have come across an Anne Clavey, bapt. 17/9/1764 and married to Thomas House (Howse ? ) 18/4/1799 in Chewton Mendip.
 Anne's parents I believe were John and Anne.  I came across the name because of a connection to my wife's family via the 'House' line.
  Any help ?
  Brian M

Offline CW658

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have only just found this site and am related to the Clavey's of Chewton Mendip, my Great- Grandmother was Mary Ann (1881) daughter of Richard Ford Clavey and Louisa Moon. Mary Ann married William Henry Cox in 1902, my Grandmother Julia Mary was born in 1911. I have done a bit of family history tracing over the past few years and am happy to share any thing if anyone wants any info or would like to compare notes let me know  :)
Carol

Offline Claveyminty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol.
I am also related to the above people you mentioned, I would be happy to share what info I have.
I have been on and off searching into it all. Though I am stuck on the Moons a bit! I will get my pieces of paper out (need to het them organised) but think they were from west/east harptree if I'm on the right track.
Anyway are you local to cheat on mendip now?
Karen

Offline CW658

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
I am not too far away, near Bath...I will have a look and see what I have on the moon's, I keep coming back to researching family ancestry every now and again, it can get a bit addictive...
Kindest Regards
Carol

Offline Claveyminty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 April 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Yeah it is a bit addictive. I will get my info out and let you know too. I'm on the outskirts of Bath. So close too.