Author Topic: which ship?  (Read 852 times)

Offline sushi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
which ship?
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather JOHN FRANK CHARLES b. 1878 in Birmingham, was in the merchant navy. His rank was articifer (in the engine room?). Is there anyway I can find out which ships he served on? I can't find him anywhere in the 1901 census, so guess he may have been at sea.
Wootton/Smethwick
Charles Birmingham
Jeavons Fellows/Tromans/Harris/ Cradley

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: which ship?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
it would help if you have his british seamans card registration number, or discharge book number, unfortunatly the merchant records are not very well kept but with his number you will have a chance, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline sushi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 06 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kali, I wish I had more info, but unfortunately nearly all reatives who would know are long dead. The only other thing is my cousin thinks he used to be on a whaling boat off Canada at some time, but my brother is convinced he used to work for the India and Egypt company. I suppose he could have been both in his lifetime. So all a bit hopeless really?! but thanks for answering!
Wootton/Smethwick
Charles Birmingham

Offline sushi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 06 10:45 GMT (UK) »
hello again, Kali,
scrolling down the list of requests in this section I came across "merchant seamen", from Pettsy. There was a link on there to the National Archives so I tried it and guess what THERE WAS GRANDAD, I can't believe it. I have been told by the NA to get in touch with Canada and all sorts of stuff in the past, all to no avail. Anyway I thought I would let you know I now have the information, and thanks for your interest.
Wootton/Smethwick
Charles Birmingham

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
well done sushi,
                          the archives are nowhere near complete so i think you were very lucky, but not to worry you now have a result and i hope you get a lot more info from your contacts, off the top of my head there is a merchant seamens records office in cardiff i think the address is llantrisant rd, llandaff, cardiff. if you want to check that out, as they may be able to tell you all the ships he served on, all the very best in your research, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.