Author Topic: 60th Regiment of Foot  (Read 3281 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
60th Regiment of Foot
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 19:15 GMT (UK) »
A relative, Thomas Everett Saunders,  served in the 60th Regiment of Foot from about 1858 until about 1878 and I know that he served in both Canada and Ireland by the births of his children.

This is my first ancestor to have served in the military - can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?

Many thanks

Jos
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: 60th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Jos,

just a start, the 60th Regiment of Foot was also known as The King's Royal Rifle Corps.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 06 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Did you try searching the National Archives site
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
Little Nell found my rellie there, he was in the 66th Regt of Foot, from the census I knew he was "Chelsea Out Pensioner", served 1804 -1822, I used a researcher, and managed to obtain his army papers just 2 sheets of A3, but very personal information, height, eye colour, hair colour, and also the theatres of war he served in.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 06 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a note, for someone discharged 1878 his discharge records won't be name-indexed on the catalogue, but they will be there - this is one of these things for which it's probably best to use a researcher for if you can't get to Kew.  (Try http://www.agra.org.uk/ and ask for a quote, or ask around here to see if anyone has a researcher they recommend.)

http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/060-1.htm - deployment of the 1st Bn.
http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/060-4.htm - deployment of the 4th Bn.
These two look the most likely as the 2nd and 3rd didn't see service in Canada during his time (according to the site, which is usually very good).  You can compare the movements of these two to the births of his children and probably get a good idea of which is more likely.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone for the pointers - I actually live in London so a trip to Kew is definitely in order.

Would they really have quite detailed information on him?  I thought it would be just general stuff about where his regiment was posted etc.
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 06 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Well I had two searches carried out.
1 in the 1804-1822, and one 1914 -1918
for both I received quite detailed information
for the first time period, the attestation papers,  as I said gave me his height, his eye colour, his hair colour, his complexion colour, his conduct, the time served, the time served before his eighteenth birthday, his total time served.
Where he served and the time period.
For the second, the researcher did say that it was lucky as this information was from the "burnt series" and not all records have survived. But I received about 10 pages, his conduct record, his signing up papers, his regiment, his transfer, his service and where, including his height, colour of eyes etc.  and his release papers.
so you never know I suppose.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I'd recommend a letter to the Royal Green Jackets Museum, they are very helpful!

Royal Green Jackets Museum   
Peninsula Barracks
Romsey Road    
Winchester    
Hampshire    
SO23 8TS