Author Topic: Martha Griffiths/ William Armitstead Marriage 1889  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Cenkay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Griffiths/ William Armitstead Marriage 1889
« on: Wednesday 08 February 06 20:49 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents Martha Griffiths born 1869 and William Armitstead born 1857 married in Berriew in 1889.
I have found her father John born 1835 and his father also John born 1810 who were both wheelwrights. Does anyone have any knowledge of the  background of their wives Mary born 1830 and Margaret born 1807.

It was a huge surprise to all the family when we discovered out Welsh connection as all the Armitstead family and all other relations are form Westmorland.

Is their anything in the Welshpool area that could connect  a Westmorland farmer to that area.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Griffiths/ William Armitstead Marriage 1889
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
:D Welcome to Rootschat Cenkay :D

Do you know where your great grandparents Martha and William were born? If you do then that would enable you to find the birth records, order the certificates.......which would give you both Mary and Margaret's maiden names.  That would be a good starting point ;)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Cenkay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 06 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Jan

Thanks for the welcome.

I have managed to find Martha's birth in the listings so i am sending for her certificate and will start looking for one of her father's sisters as he was born before 1837.

Regards

Gordon

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon

Just a thought.......have you found any of the family members on any of the Census?  I have the Montgomeryshire census for 1851, 1861,1871 and 1891 and would be more than happy to look them up for you.

Please do let me know.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Cenkay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Jan

Thanks for the offer but i have managed to find Martha and her parents and her father's parents on the census returns even when they slipped over the border into Shropshire for the 1861 return.

A big bonus with William has been that as well as tracking his several moves around Westmorland i discovered a photograph of him, in a book on the area where they lived, with his twelve brothers and sisters at a gathering for their parents golden wedding in 1902.

The author is a distant relative being a descendant of one of William's sisters.

Pity they couldn't fit Martha and the other spouse's in but there wouldn't have been any room.

Gordon