Author Topic: Where is Philip Gilleard, I can't find him on any census...  (Read 11121 times)

Offline sarahlrodgers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Philip Gilleard, I can't find him on any census...
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I was a bit vague.

I have information going backwards from 1901, where I have confirmed Mary Elizabeth is with her daughter Isabel and Son in law Charles Martin Holt.
RG13/4478/41 p 3

She is known as Mary Elizabeth Loret and I have confirmed the marriage and that she was Mary Elizabeth Gilleard prior to the marriage Yorkshire 1887 4th qtr and the 1891 showing them together after their marriage.

After this things become a little unsafe.  I have found an Elizabeth Gilliard on the 1881 with a totally wrong date of birth (she is shown as 27 but is in fact 42!) but with 3 children with names the same as my search target - Isabel (1868) with 2 brothers Joseph (1872) and Fred (1876).

RG11/4763/54 p 21

Im trying to establish whether Gilleard is a married name or whether this is her maiden name.  There is some scandal regarding Isabel as there was a twin who died and it went to inquest!

If Gilleard is Mary Elizabeths maiden name then I can finally establish her parentage.  I have found Mary Elizabeth with parents Philip and Dougless.
Whew!!!

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Getting the marriage certificate should help with her father's name, or the birth of one of the children should confirm if Gilleard is her maiden name.

Do you have her in 1871 visiting Philip and Ellen Milton and family in Nether Hallam, Sheffield in 1871, with daughter Isabel? RG10/4664 Folio 85 Page 16
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Do you have this one?

Nov 17 1853 at Newland - Phillip Gilleard, accountant of Huddersfield to Miss Elizabeth King of Cottingham near Hull.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
And a few more that may fit:

On 2nd July 1838 at Holy Trinity Church Mr Philip Gilleard to Miss Douglas Brown both of this place. (Hull)

On 26 March 1876 aged 61 years Philip Gilleard, book keeper, Dalton, Huddersfield.

Gill- on 10th Sept 1896 aged 16, Fanny daughter of the late Mr Philip Briton Gilleard, Longley Hillside
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline sarahlrodgers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 October 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for these extra titbits of information - Ive now got my work cut out, trying to match it with the people named in the tree.

Offline Susan Longbottom

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 October 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
I have done a lot of research into the Gilleard family and can send you a family tree if you like. Are you related to Martin C Rodgers? Would be great to hear from you. Sue

Offline NickiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Philip Gilleard.
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Philip GILLEARD appears to be the son of Cornelius GILLEARD and Mary WHEATER m. 6 Mar 1810 in Snaith YKS. Has anyone traced Mary's side?? I also have a Mary WHEATER born in Hensall, and am struggling with her parentage as there were about 3 of them bapt Snaith but not the date I need - but she probably fibbed a little on that aspect. Is your Mary the daughter of William (Labourer of Hensall) or daughter of Thomas (Labourer of Hensall)?? Let alone the other Mary daughter of Charles (Farmer of Snaith). All bapt around 1786-1787.
According to the 1851 mine was 54y born Hensall.
Nicki
BANNISTER, WATKINS, DANE, ADDY, EVANS, LANE, HARDY, GOFFIN, BERRY, GRIFFITHS/GRIFFIS, BETHELL, SYKES, MYERS, LITTLE, BAXENDEN, MATHER, VANRENEN, AUCHINLECK, FRENCH, WILLIAMS, GREYER, SPENCER, HILL, WHEATER, COOPER, COLES, KERSLAKE, CROUCHLEY, SHAW, BOGAARDT, GRIFFIES, ECCLES, SWORDS, JAKEWAY, JONES, HOUSEAL/HAUSIHL, BENN, HALL, PYM, DOLDEN, MALIN, COCHRANE, ROBERTS, ASHDOWN, HUNT, EDGINGTON, SCALES, McKECHNIE, CHIDLEY, BROWN, MAYDWELL, CLEAVER, ALEXANDER, FOX, McBRIDE, CALNAN, NOKES, DOWN(E)S.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicki,

I'm descended from Cornelius and Mary. Please email me, address is on my profile, if you want to connect x
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams