Author Topic: Isaac JONES of Newtown  (Read 2971 times)

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac JONES of Newtown
« on: Friday 10 February 06 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the family of Isaac JONES born circa 1859 (in Newtown, Montgomeryshire?). Until recently, I believed that he was born in Pontypridd GLA as that is his stated birthplace on both the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. However, I have since found him on the 1881 Census at Denbigh with his Father Isaac JONES 55, also Ann JONES 59 (Mother, or possibly Stepmother), and Hugh JONES 26 (Brother). The entry states that although the others were born in DEN, Isaac jnr was born in Newtown Montgomery Wales.
The address and father's name match the details on his marriage certificate (1884) and confirm that I have the correct one. Isaac is somewhat flexible in his estimations of his age, so thats not a reliable indicator.

I have not been able to find him prior to the 1881 Census. There is a possible entry for the rest of the family in Montgomeryshire in the 1861 Census with 3 extra siblings, but the whole family was born in Machynlleth.
I also have found a birth entry for Isaac JONES in the Mar qtr 1859 at Machynlleth vol 11b page 189.

Should I get the birth certificate? Is there a way to check the father/parents name before ordering the certificate? or specify that I don't want the certificate if the father's name is not Isaac?
What is the best way to proceed?

Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac JONES of Newtown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 06 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Does this look like family in 1871?
RG10/5672 23 38
Denbigh, Denbighshire
39 Abraham Lane

Ann Jones, head, mar, 48, b. Denbigh Ruthin
Robert, son, unm, 21, Quarryman, b. Denbigh Henllan
Hugh, son, 16, Butcher, b. do.
Isaac, son, 13, scholar, b. South Wales

Tanja  :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac JONES of Newtown
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanja,
Yes, that is them (same address as the 1881 Census). Robert is not one of the 1861 siblings, so It seems less likely that they are a match to my family. I didn't have access to the 1871 census.
You've really helped me here
Thanks
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN