Author Topic: COTTON, William 1851/1861  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COTTON, William 1851/1861
« on: Saturday 11 February 06 07:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William COTTON born late 1840 in Sunderland.

I am hoping he shows up in the 1851 and 1861 census.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Kind regards
Jocelyn

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: COTTON, William 1851/1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 06 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm not posting the full details as the age is quite a bit out from what you are looking for but I see the nearest William Cotton in age was born in 1841, and in 1861 he appears to be a mariner.

Can you tell us what information you have on him? do you have him in other censuses? what was his occupation? Who did he marry and where and when and if you have the marriage certificate what was his father's name?

You might also want to keep an eye on another post I've noticed, maybe somebody else is searching for the same person and you might find some responses on there too, people are likely to be doing duplicate look ups http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,128527.from1139643918/topicseen.html#msg571520

;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

William was a mariner - he died in New Zealand in 1909  in a shipwreck- I don't have any other details so  would really appreciate the census info even if the age is wrong!! I might be able to work out if he is the same fellow later - through other means, but I have just started work on this fellow, so any clues would be fantastic

he is in the 1881  census on the ' Hawk' ..don't know wife's name though ( yet!)

Thanks ever so much

jocelyn

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 06 08:42 GMT (UK) »
1861 on Board the Dolphin
Wm Cotton S 20 Mariner Sunderland Waremouth
RG9/4447 Misc Ships Dolphin Folio 55

also on board the Wearmouth
Wm Cotton S 26 Chief Engineer Sunderland Durham
RG9/4448 Misc Ships Wearmouth Folio 13

1851 - 16 East Street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
Margaret Cotton Head M 31 Mariner's Wife Scotland
Willilam Son Unm 10 Scholar Durham Bwearmouth
Christiana daur 4 " " "
Kenneth E Son 1    " "
HO107/2396 Sunderland, South Bishop Wearmouth Folio 172 Page 23

Now this one, in case you don't have it, looks like a spider has written over the page while the ink has run out, so not sure about the street name at all
9 Bull Lane, Bermondsey, London
William Cotton Head M 30 Mariner Durham Sunderland
Isabella A Wife M 21 Rotherhithe Surrey
Charles Phipps StepFather in Law M 51 Engine ?? on Steamboat Dover Kent
Thomas Beddoe Brother in Law 26 Baske? Maker Bermondsey Surrey
Charles Mode Nephew 11 Scholar Rotherhithe, Surrey
RG10/635 St Olave Southwark, St James Bermondsey Folio 104 Page 21

More info if you send me a pm with your email address.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline hil gurney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Goaters Wapping and Cottons Bishopwearmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - I don't know how far you have got with this or what your interest is but William Cotton is my Ggrandfather. I may be able to help. I am stuck tracing his father, Elmer Johnson/Jonathan Cotton born Bwearmouth abt 1820. If you are still interested please reply. This is my first time on rootschat so have not yet worked out how it works!   :- ???

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 13 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  It would appear that the original poster hasn't been online since the middle of last year, however if they have notifications checked for replies to their posts then maybe they will pick up that you have responded.

Please post another couple of messages (you need three) and then you will be able to send a private message to them, where you can let them know your email address, don't put it on the messageboard, and you will be able to correspond directly.

Offline hil gurney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Goaters Wapping and Cottons Bishopwearmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,
sorry for the 10 year delay, have been off following other tacks. William b. 1840 was my great grandfather. I am attaching some of what I have of his life history on 2 separate posts so I can get up to three posts and then maybe we can correspond directly.
I knew nothing of the shipwreck and really look forward to details.