Author Topic: FARRELL Family Perth 1850's  (Read 3877 times)

Offline tracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
FARRELL Family Perth 1850's
« on: Monday 13 February 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi! I am looking for the FARRELL family who immigrated to Perth Ontario possibly in the 1850's or earlier. My husband's ggrandfather Thomas William FARRELL was born in Perth, Ontario in 1852. We would like to get a copy of his birth certificate. He married Flora C M WILSON in 1883 in Kimberley, South Africa and describes himself as a mining expert on future UK census forms (1891) Any information would be much appreciated.
Tracer ;D
Cole, Richardson, Ground, Herrenden: Cambridgeshire; Fooks, Hodder, Needell: Dorset; Perham, Wilson: Somerset and  Devon. Farrell: Perth Canada;

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: FARRELL Family Perth 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracer,

Ontario Birth's were not registered until 1869. 

Is there any other family names you can give us?  What was Thomas's parents name?  Did other members of the family remain in Canada?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline tracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:03 GMT (UK) »
 :o
That's interesting...I had no idea that they were not registered until then. Unfortunately, apart from his marriage which was reported in the Perth Courier in 1883, I have no other information on his connections with Perth.
Thanks for your help.
kind regards,
Tracer
Cole, Richardson, Ground, Herrenden: Cambridgeshire; Fooks, Hodder, Needell: Dorset; Perham, Wilson: Somerset and  Devon. Farrell: Perth Canada;

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Any idea where they came from?  Ireland, England, etc?

If he was married in SA and an annoucement was made in Perth, Ontario, then there must be relations here to tell about it?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline tracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen!
It was said his family came from Ireland. But that is all I know. You are right; why put it in the paper if there was no one to read it who would be interested.
Tracer

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Any idea the names of Thomas & Flora's children, perhaps they were name after Thomas's family?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline tracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Karen,
Just as an aside: Thomas William FARRELL married Flora C M WILSON whose father's name was Henry Moreton Dyer WILSON.  I noticed that Dyer was a surname you were particularly interested in. He was a doctor in the Royal Navy.
Tracer

Offline tracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is a possibility that Norman could have been his father's name as he named his first child Norman. The second child a girl was named after her grandmother on her mother's side. So maybe.
Tracer

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 06 20:28 GMT (UK) »
A doctor in the Royal Navy sounds to educated for my lot of Dyer's  ;D

I think they were just poor ag lab., I actually just rec'd my gr-gr-gr grandmother's binding papers to her master in 1823, to learn the art of husbandry!

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England