Author Topic: HELP - Where do I look.  (Read 665 times)

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
HELP - Where do I look.
« on: Wednesday 15 February 06 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

1930, Mother dies (Pt Macquarie NSW) & leaves 13 year old daughter. Probate shows mother as widow but her husband is alive, they were separared for years. Mothers estate left to daughter residing in San Souci NSW. Father suddenly back on scene.
Does anyone know, could the father just "claim" his daughter or would there have been a recorded process, to obtain the estate & his daughter.
If so where would I look & for what sort of records.

Thanks
Ruth
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Where do I look.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I don't have any legal knowledge, but would assume with the mother dead, the father could certainly claim the daughter, and if whoever was currently her guardian (grandparents ?) didn't object, there would be no court case. Claiming the daughters estate may be somewhat different, although given her age, he may have become her trustee and simply taken whatever was available. There was no family court until 1976, so I would think any legal matters would have been through the Supreme Court in NSW. Try looking for Wills etc via the NSW archives
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/staterecords/

Someone else may have much better knowledge on the subject.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk