Author Topic: 113 St. Helen's Rd, Swansea.  (Read 9016 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
113 St. Helen's Rd, Swansea.
« on: Wednesday 15 February 06 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

My father was born at 113 St. Helen's Road, Swansea in 1896.

Anyone know it?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
Re: 113 St. Helen's Rd, Swansea.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 08:43 GMT (UK) »
 :)hi romily i work as a community care assistant in swansea.. and i visit a lady just doors away from 113.. the houses on that road are the original, very big inside, 3 stories high. the only damage they would have sustained is from the high tide, as the beach is on the doorstep of st helens rd..they suffered a lot of flooding.. i will find out more info for you.. hope this was a help
      kind regrds  sharon ;)
smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the info...It's interesting to know that those are the original houses.

Any further feedback greatly welcomed!

Thanks for your help,
Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sha61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 March 06 10:37 GMT (UK) »
hi romilly, i checked out 93 st helens rd, yes the house is still there, it`s got two big bay windows in the front.. it is a house now.. i asked the lady, who i go and see, and she says she`s been living there 50 yrs, most of the houses on the road are 150 yrs + old.. when she first moved in, there was talk of pulling them down.. but they were saved by  a man called George, i will find out his full name for you.. do you have a photo of 93 st helens rd.. if not  i will take a pic for you, 
 hope this helps , regards Sharon

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 March 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
hi romilly, i checked out 93 st helens rd, yes the house is still there, it`s got two big bay windows in the front.. it is a house now.. i asked the lady, who i go and see, and she says she`s been living there 50 yrs, most of the houses on the road are 150 yrs + old.. when she first moved in, there was talk of pulling them down.. but they were saved by  a man called George, i will find out his full name for you.. do you have a photo of 93 st helens rd.. if not  i will take a pic for you, 
 hope this helps , regards Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for your help. No, sadly I don't have a photo of 93 St. Helen's Road, - I used to have one of my Grandmother, Margaret Wilson, standing outside it when it was a shop, - but it got lost during one of my house moves. A photo of 93 would be great, thanks!

My Grandparents, William James Wilson & Margaret Wilson, (née Rees) lived in St. Helens Road from 1893 until about 1920, when they moved to Y Plas, Llangyfelach Road. Their youngest son, Archie committed suicide at Y Plas in 1930, (he cut his throat) & after that the family left Wales & moved to Wembley, Middx. It must have been a terrible upheaval for my Grandmother, - she was Welsh speaking & I've tracked her family back in Swansea to the 1790's, - (they were Rees's & Griffiths). She died in Wembley in 1934.

I'm attaching a photo of her with my father & 2 of his brothers; which must have been taken when they were living at 113 St Helens Road.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sha61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
hi romilly here`s the photo of 93 st helens rd

Offline sha61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 21:56 GMT (UK) »
here`s another. hope they are ok..

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for the pics of 93 St Helen's Road.

Yes, it does look like it could've been run as a shop, doesn't it?

I must check with the Trade's Directories for Swansea, & see how long Wilson & Co were there for. (I know that it was at that address in 1918).

Thanks for the help! (I still haven't had any luck with tracking down any old photos of St Helens Road:-(

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sha61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 06 09:30 GMT (UK) »
hi romilly, i will see if can find any old photos for you.. give me a few days.. my mother has a lot of books on old swansea..  ;)