Author Topic: Naturalisation, Internment: Immigrant Information at KEW:  (Read 42267 times)

Offline Chelsea2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalisation, Internment: Immigrant Information at KEW:
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hallo - can I add something to this interesting topic.  My gg grandfather Johannes Von der Wege came to England and married Anna Kraft in 1862.  The had a daughter Anna and a couple of other children, both of whom died.   Johannes remarried and had more children.   Anna married Robert Mallett in London and had my grandmother and her two sisters. 

Children from his second wife - Elizabeth Woolston he had William and Rose Elizabeth.  Rose Elizabeth married Edward Heape and I have just discovered that William married in 1913 Alice Annie Russell in St Pauls Bethnal Green.  By now the name has changed to Fonderway.  Someone did look in the internment records in Kew and found that William had been interned.  I now wonder what happened to his wife and also Rose Elizabeth and her husband.  I know my Grandmother had a visit from the police and they wanted to take her away - her husband was away in France fighting the Germans!!

I have been to Germany and been to the village where Johannes was born.  It is probably exactly the same now as it was then.  There is also a family there with the same name who made us most welcome and we had a wonderful week with them. 

Does anybody know of anyone who researches in Kew?  I cannot get there and cannot lay my hands on the piece of paper sent to me.  I really would like to find out what happened to William.

Chelsea

Offline proteantime

• RootsChat Senior
  • To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 10:00 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Hi,

an update:

someone with a fantastic reference on the Times Newspaper managed to find references for the death of Siegmund's wife Adele, and the subsequent social histories of the children.  These newspaper items included births, deaths and marriages as well as graduations from Oxford University and entrance to legal positions in the Inner and Middle Temple.

Without adding a burden to the person who was able to help me, I would suggest that The Times is an excellent reference and perhaps there may be a copy in Canada for you and for others in England, perhaps at your local library.

The lady with the reference answered a post I made here on Rootschat and truly solved what was the mystery of a lifetime (well five lifetimes really!lol).

Just goes to show.....This community really is the most generous and altruistic online.

*** A quick footnote for those in the UK or who have access to BB2:  Next Wednesday 18 January 2006, a new series of "Who Do You Think You Are?" begins (check your local time listings) starring celebrities such as Steven Fry and Jane Horrocks (Little Voice), searching for their ancestors.

Warmest wishes
Kirsten
Beach (Faversham, Whitstable, Kent , Windsor Bucks)
Reay, Waller, Hutton (Cumberland, Westmorland)
Oppenheim (Hamburg, Mecklenberg, Manchester)
Cassell, Dickinson, Walter (London, Kent and Surrey)
Bury, Heywood, Cohen, Sichel (Lancashire)
Thompson (Great Yarmouth, London and Kent)
Brewer, Harvey (Suffolk, Norfolk)
Mathison (Newcastle upon Tyne)
http://www.webpalette.co.uk/Oppenheims.htm
UK Census info. is Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline proteantime

• RootsChat Senior
  • To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 14:06 GMT (UK) »
CORRECTION!!!  It actually starts tonight January 11!

*** A quick footnote for those in the UK or who have access to BB2:  Next Wednesday 18 January 2006, a new series of "Who Do You Think You Are?" begins (check your local time listings) starring celebrities such as Steven Fry and Jane Horrocks (Little Voice), searching for their ancestors.
Beach (Faversham, Whitstable, Kent , Windsor Bucks)
Reay, Waller, Hutton (Cumberland, Westmorland)
Oppenheim (Hamburg, Mecklenberg, Manchester)
Cassell, Dickinson, Walter (London, Kent and Surrey)
Bury, Heywood, Cohen, Sichel (Lancashire)
Thompson (Great Yarmouth, London and Kent)
Brewer, Harvey (Suffolk, Norfolk)
Mathison (Newcastle upon Tyne)
http://www.webpalette.co.uk/Oppenheims.htm
UK Census info. is Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
naturisation
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just been having a look through the national archive site and I'm excited to discover that I can order the naturalisation papers of a Hungarian ancestor  from 1856. before I go ahead and order them could anyone give me an idea of the sort of information it might contain. For example, am I likely to discover the town/village of origin?

Thanks in anticipation
Sarah

Moderator Comment:  topics merged
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

jump to the beginning of this thread for some more details of
what can be found on naturalisation papers

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 20:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sarah!

This subject has been brought up before and I thought maybe you might like to look this over!!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130042.0.html

Good Luck with the papers - I'm sure you'll be happy with them!!

Annie  :) :)

That Berlin Bob - just loves make me think I'm crazy!!  ignore this post!!  :P :P :P
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Annie and Bob

Thanks so much - I will go ahead and I can't wait to get the information back.

Regards
Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 16 February 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I have one from 1872, but it did not tell me the person's parents names or where exactly he had come from, unfortunately.  It was still interesting though.  It does give his signature, and the names and addresses and signatures of those who endorsed his application.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 July 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
could some one please please help me i keep looking at the national archives for naturalisation papers for my grt grandad but i must be looking in the wrong place where do i look is there anywhere to type in his name which was moses morris or moses ackerman born russia 1848 i would appreciate any help chears
plymouth