Author Topic: Where to look ?????  (Read 2652 times)

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where to look ?????
« on: Thursday 16 February 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I  have  a  death  certificate  in  Ontario  Canada  it  lists  the  cause of  death  who  claimed  the  person   who  the  parent  was  but  does not   give  the  wife's  name. I Know  from  this  the  man  was  born  in  England  but  can't  find  when  he  came  to  Canada  nor  when  he  married  how  can  I  find  the  wife ?  Any  ideas   please.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look ?????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 06 14:43 GMT (UK) »
What sort of dates are we talking about? Some censuses give date of immigration; records for his children such as birth/marriage records should list mother.  The earlier you go the more difficult it gets but then there are things like church records for the period before civil records were kept in Ontario.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm  looking  at  william  Harvey  born  England  1899  father  also  William  ,I  checked  census    but  to  many   when  I  have  no  mothers  name.I  can't  find  when  they  came  to  Canada  but  the  death  was  in  1928 in  Ontario.  It  only  says  on  here  he  was  married   but  does  not  give  the  wife's  name   so  no  way  of  knowing who  , where  or  when  he  married  . i  checked  the  births  and  there  are  18  William  Harvey  born  in  the  last  quarter  alone
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 06 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Is it the William Harvey who died in Coburg, Ontario,  County of Northumberland?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you know names/dates for any of his children?

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 06 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Jorose ,I  have  a  child's  name  but  don't  know  who  the child's  father  is  and  because  this  child  is  still  living I'm  unable  to  get  information  from  this  child  nor   can  I  obtain  a  birth  certificate.I  only  know  the  birth  father  as "Harvey" and  the  closest  lead  I have  is  the  William  Harvey as  mentioned  above  knowing  who  his  parents  are   does  not  really  help  to  find  the  wife's  name  when  I  don't  know  if  they  were  married  in  England    ,@  sea  or  in  Canada if  in  Canada  those  records  are  not  available  as  yet................Karen  I  think  this   is  the  same   death  I'm  looking  at.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 06 13:38 GMT (UK) »
On the death registration for William Harvey born 1899 in England who died in 1928 in Coburg.  The parents are listed as William Harvey and Miss Wolfall.  The informant is a brother-in-law of the deceased Thomas Peter Ritchie, Montreal, PQ.

This William Harvey was a salesman in the baking industry and died in a car accident.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 06 15:05 GMT (UK) »
You could try the Northumberland County Cemetery Database, which is at the Cobourg Public Library, contact email (mangled to prevent spam):
library[AT] town[DOT]cobourg[DOT]on[DOT]ca

Possibly his wife/other family members might be buried with him?

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Karen  I  have  all  that  on the  certificate  here  thanks 

Jorose  looks  like  he  was  buried  in  Montreal  but  where ??  and  if  the  one  I'm  looking for  I  know  where  the  wife  is  burried  but  I  can't  find  a  marriage  for  her  to   Mr. Harvey  anywhere.   

thanks   for  the  help  anyway.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold