Author Topic: josiah glue - help please!!!  (Read 18642 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: josiah glue - help please!!!
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Rachel made her mark, so she may not have had sufficient reading skills to actually know what the clergyman was recording.  :) 

Picture the event .... the clergyman says 'sign here' ... to the groom, - so he signs 'here'  ... the clergyman does not say 'read everything first' ... so the groom doesn't check that the clergyman has the correct names for the bride.   The bride is asked to 'make your mark'  ... so she also does as she is told. And the witnesses stood and watched, and then signed that they witnessed the ceremony and the signing.   :)

Sometimes with NSW BDM online index searchings ... well ... it can be best to leave many of the options 'empty', and with an unusual spelling of a surname, it can be best to just enter one surname and a range of dates, or just one surname and then press the search option.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks JM - much appreciated
Are you related to the Mumbersons like me via George Glue?
IMcH

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 14 March 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks JM - much appreciated
Are you related to the Mumbersons like me via George Glue?
IMcH

Sorry,  no, just NSW centric.  My earliest NSW arrivals date from mid 1790s,  and  I have living elderly rellies some who spent their careers in NSW Land Titles, NSW Archives, National Archives in Canberra,  clergy,  and are still very interested in local and in family history and who got me interested back when I  was at school ... so I have been a family history buff for..... decades ....  :)  ...

If  you search RootsChat  you will find threads re GLUE in NSW and you could consider posting on those threads,  even if you doubt your GLUE ancestors would be connected,  perhaps they have come across your chap in their searchings...  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mossvaliant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 15 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks JM - will do
IMcH

Offline Lesley1561

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 10 December 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
One of ancestors is his grandafther (Thomas Glue 1751-1835)
Josiah appears in several newspaper articles including:-
... the night of the 6th instant, Josiah Glew, a pauper the Easebourne Workhouse, and who has at various times been inmate of Petworth Gaol, absconded from house, taking with him a suit of clothes, pair ' stockings, two handkerchief's, pillowcase, three shirts, and pair of new boots. His escape was ' 'he following daring manner • at between 40 v .' the boardroom, and obtaining two sheets he tied together and fastened the end to an iron bar ;N window, from whence he, by the aid of the sheets, ' aims down the roof below, and from there slid the ground by means of a pipe used for conveying water off the roof. A pane of glass was broken in window, apparently by his foot getting out; but nonetheless, none of the inmates were roused, and the fugitive managed to get clear off, and was not missed 'ill the morning shewed the sheets fluttering from the ■ low. This man appears to be a thoroughly artful aid, as a short time ago, being Petworth Gaol, he ''outlived to exhibit such symptoms, and make such professions of amendment of life, as to obtain from the authorities both money and clothes, promising to immediately leave the country and strive to redeem his character, as an emigrant. A very short time after he had left the prison, however, he had pawned his clothes and spent his money; and the present result shews how he kept his promise of amendment of life.
Published: Tuesday 15 March 1853 Newspaper: Sussex Advertiser

Prisoner Josiah Glue, a convict returned on ticket of leave, having been three times subsequently convicted of offences, was by the mine authority and on the expiration of his last sentence here, recommitted to Milbank prison to undergo the unexpired portion of his original term.
Published: Tuesday 16 April 1861 Newspaper: Surrey Gazette