Author Topic: Marriage not registerd  (Read 6964 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Marriage not registerd
« on: Monday 19 January 04 21:31 GMT (UK) »
 :oI was told by a professional Genealogist that my GGGGGGrandparents didnt register their marrige.If this is the case how can i find details on them.All i have is their names were Thomas or George Darrie and his wife Janet Kirkcaldy.I am presuming they came from the border regions of Scotland because thats where his sons and their sons came from.They would have been born in the 1700s.Thankyou for any help.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage not registerd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi anne

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline twopence

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Your dilema has sparked a question and I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny the practise:
My Great Grandparents, also have no marriage certificate, my grandmother told me that they did get married by a vicar for the cost of an old penny. They were not able to have a proper wedding because they couldn't afford it, but  the vicar concented to marry them in the door way or entrance to the church (at the top of the path under the arches?) although they were married in the eyes of god, they didn't get a marriage certificate, the only draw back from getting married in this fashion. Did this happen? is there any truth of this practise going on?

Would love to hear anyones thought on this.
Many Thanks

Belinda

Offline yorkshire jen

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 05 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I can't answer the question unfortunately but can empathise as I am stuck with a marriage in the 1850's. I was very interested to read the tale of the penny marriage and wonder if this is what happened to my gr.gr.gr. grandparents.  ???

Good luck, Jenny
Banks- Yorkshire/Lancashire
Daffern - Yorkshire/Staffordshire
Maudsley - Yorkshire
Shearer - Yorkshire/Scotland

Offline dixwimby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
Many marriages took place irregularly. I've not in their own parish. Sometimes weeks, months, years later a couple could go before the session of their birth parish pay a fine and have their marriage confirmed. The element here is pay the dues (fine). Not everyone could afford the dues, so never registered a marriage in in some cases the children's births from that marriage.