Author Topic: 50th Squadron - WW2 - Casualties 5/11/44  (Read 11903 times)

Offline Filip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 50th Squadron - WW2 - Casualties 5/11/44
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Lads,

Lijsenthoek cemetery is only 15 minutes away from Oostvleteren churchyard. I would say 15 Km from where I live.
The cemetery lies near Poperinge. In WWI, the cemetery was next to a farmhouse. The farmhouse was used as a field hospital for severly wounded men. After the war many men of the chinese labour corps were buried there (over 10.000 Commonwealth soldirs lie there). To the locals the farmhouse (wich hasn't changed a bit since then) is known as Remi farm.

I would be happy to guide you around, if you're ever in the country.

To bring us back to LM429. I have received parts of the landing gear recently.
We have located the exact spot of the crash and have found evidence of the wreck still lying there, several feet down.
I would like to open up temporay exhibition next year about LM429 consisting of parts of the wreck and original uniforms.

Kindest regards,

Filip

Offline Bonnie Lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Filip,  I have been in Belgium in recent years, but was unaware of the gravesite where our relative is buried.  Just returned from the UK, where we visited Skellingthorpe, the airfield where the ill-fated Lancaster took off on May 10, 1944.

The Uncle of my Cousin Robert -- also named Robert Norval Cunningham died in WWI and is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery in Belgium.  Can you tell us the approximate distance between the two burial sites?

We live in Florida, adjacent to the Kennedy Space Center, and, unfortunately we have not been traveling abroad as much.  Thank you so much for sharing the information with us. 

Offline Filip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
@Bonnie Lassie: The exact distance between Oostveteren military cemetary and Lijssenthoek cemetery is 12,9 Km (8 miles) I looked it up  8)

Offline Bonnie Lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information

Offline Bonnie Lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 October 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Filip,

I spoke with my cousin Jean (now 85 years old).  She was the sister of Robert Norval Cunningham, the second.  She told me that Robert was first declared missing in May 1944 and it took a year before the family received notification of his death.  He had flown on many missions and was close to concluding the mandatory 25 missions.

Do you have pictures of any of the wreckage of the Lancaster?  All five of Robert's siblings are still alive and are in their upper 80's to lower 7-'S.  They are very grateful for any information relating to their late brother.  Do you know if the crew was awarded any medals posthumously?  My email address is nfuhrer@bellsouth.net.   Thank you so much for the information you have given us.  Bonnie Jean 

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 October 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean, someone will correct me if l am wrong but l think the mandatory tour of ops was 30. (Though it may have been increased from 25 early on).

All the crew should have received at least three medals at the end of the war, either personally or posthumously.....

I am the proud holder of my late Uncles medals (handed down to me)...

Aircrew Europe Star
1939-45  Star
1939-45 War Medal.

Kyt will be your expert for any other awards.

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 October 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
This is a link to the Imperial War Museum enquiry service http://iwm.altarama.com/reft000.aspx and they have lots of photographs.  I wonder if they might be able to look and see if they have a picture of that particular aircraft.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Nina Clare

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 August 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I saw your posting trying to find relatives of Lancaster bomber pilot, Frank Stuart McFarlan.
I am his great neice although you have spelt his name incorrectly and it is in fact spelt McFarlin.
I still have his four medals in the original MOD box and a photo of his grave in Belgium.
Nina

Offline bkristof

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Oostvleteren too, near the church and  the graveyard. I am a friend of Filip. We love to do something this year to commemorate 75 years of the crash. Any interest of you to help / come over for a ceremony?