Author Topic: Todhall, Dairsie  (Read 10856 times)

Offline Max Drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Todhall, Dairsie
« on: Friday 17 February 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother Margaret was born in Dairsie in 1822. Her father James Chalmers was "a servant of Todhall". By 1851 the family are no longer in Dairsie. Apparently Margaret was taught to read and write with the children at the "big House" in Dairsie. This family at the big house also had a property in the Borders. I'm trying to locate Margaret before she gets married in Wilton, Roxburghshire in 1852. Does anyone know Todhall-would it have been a "big house"? James Chalmers is described as a "farmer grieve" on Margaret's death certicate. Any help would be appreciated-especially with no 1841 census for Dairsie.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Todhall, Dairsie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I had a look on old-maps.co.uk. Keyed in Dairsie then moved up and slightly east to grid ref. 339634,717044 to find Todhall. It looks like a large farm where the farmer would want a grieve to oversee his workforce.

No sign of any other children being born in Dairsie but he could have worked elsewhere in Scotland before then. I started to look at births for Chalmers across the UK but hadn't realised how many there were. I was past 6000 without getting past the A's so a better focus is needed.
The 1851 census is due anytime now on scotlandspeople so it might be worth a short wait.
Sorry I didn't find more

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Max Drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 06 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts. I tried to avoid writing a book in my post  ;D , but James Chalmers married in Dairsie in 1815 and was"of this parish"-his wife Margaret Inglis seems to have come from an old Dairsie family, and yet there's only her brother's family left on the 1851 census. If I could find the name of the family at Todhall, perhaps I could narrow down where their other house in the Borders was and it would give me a starting point when the 1851 census comes online.(I can't find Margaret in Wilton in 1841 on Freecen)

Max(very impatientlly awaiting the 1851 census!)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max

When I Googled for Todhall it appears it is now a B & B so if you are going to wait - impatiently- it looks a lovely spot to wait.
I could not find a site which gave any history for the house though. Maybe my brain was going to sleep by that time
sorry

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Max Drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 06 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I Googled it too, but the B & B owners have moved to a new business. As you say, there seems to be no history available.Even if I find daughter Margaret in the 1851 census ,her father James may be a dead end for me, I fear.Maybe I've been spoilt by my success on other branches of the family, but getting stuck at 1815 feels like a bit of a failure.
Thanks anyway, Russell

Max

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 06 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max,

It might be an idea to email the Cupar Library.  Perhaps they have some information on Todhall House and it's occupants. 

http://www.fife.gov.uk/atoz/index.cfm?fuseaction=facility.display&facid=D5AEC501-8F8B-41D4-8AD02F6AFC2FB55B

Regards,
Dorothy

Offline Max Drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 06 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Dorothy. I'll give it a try.
Max

Offline CBare52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather and his wife and 2 daughters are listed on the census as living at Todhall. As "Ag Lab" in 1891, via FindMyPast.

Would you (or anyone here) have any info on David Rymer and his family.. wife Janet, and daughters Euphemia and Janet.

Thank you.
ISO - Dugdale, Rymer, Hall, Matthews

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 March 15 17:04 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather and his wife and 2 daughters are listed on the census as living at Todhall. As "Ag Lab" in 1891, via FindMyPast.

Would you (or anyone here) have any info on David Rymer and his family.. wife Janet, and daughters Euphemia and Janet.

Thank you.
Hi have a headstone in Falkand Cemetery for a David RYMER & Janet LUMSDEN
could this be yours ?
NorrieG
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish