Author Topic: Emigrants to NSW - Huband-Smiths  (Read 3915 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Emigrants to NSW - Huband-Smiths
« on: Tuesday 28 September 04 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for my great-grandparents, Edmund and Caroline Huband-Smith, who arrived in NSW from England in late 1867 or early 1868.  I do not know the ship.  They do not seem to have been assisted immigrants and so far I am unable to find them.  Any help would be very much appreciated!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to NSW - Huband-Smiths
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

From the NSW bdm their first child born in Australia was registered at Dungog, so it may be that they received a land grant or purchased land in this area. As you do not know the name of the ship they travelled on, finding the land details may be another way to find them. As far as I know there are no online indexes and State Records NSW is where one has to search for Land records
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

This is the comment from State records on passenger arrivals

Indexes to check for unassisted passengers
Passenger lists are arranged chronologically by arrival of the ship. As there are no comprehensive indexes to passengers arriving after 1855, and if the name of the ship and the exact date of arrival are unknown, researchers will need to try to determine the date of arrival from other sources. See those suggested under Other immigration sources.

Sydney newspapers for this period may also contain the information you are looking for - Microfilm copies of same are held in a number of libraries (in Australia - not sure about elsewhere).

Patrick Plains, where later children were registered is also in the NSW Hunter region. A google search for family history Hunter NSW (.au only) returns about 27000 references. May be worth a browse.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 05:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish,

G-Grandfather Edmund was an Anglican priest, so they did not buy any land.  We know a lot about them after they arrived here, but not exactly how or when. 

It looks as though I will have to get myself to Sydney to check through the passenger lists.  But thanks for your other suggestions.  I will have a browse, just in case.

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

Small world - one of my GGfathers was also an Anglican Minister - but he came out as a child & was ordained in Australia. Perhaps you may be able to find the information you want through the church? I have previously searched and know the Presbyterian church in Australia has an archives section, (also in Sydney) so perhaps the C of E do too. Worth a google.

Trish

I just found one site with the comment
"Diocesan Archives generally do not provide a family history research service." - but could still be worth an email.
http://www.anglican.org.au/community.cfm?SID=16&SSID=96&PID=201
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 04 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Been down that path!  He was in the Diocese of Newcastle - they have handed their archives over to the Uni of Newcastle - who tell me they charge a fairly hefty fee for research, or I can come and search myself!  (Looks as though I have to go to Newcastle as well as Sydney, doesn't it?) 

However, following your advice and browsing, I came to the Singleton Family History Society and have posted on one of their message boards, just in case someone there may know something about them.  So you have been helpful there, many thanks!

Marie