Author Topic: Boliver from Selattyn  (Read 5284 times)

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boliver from Selattyn
« on: Saturday 18 February 06 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Francis Boliver m/1799 to Eliza Smith Saint Martins. Children Francis and Sophia - Sophia being my direct line. Looking for any information.
England: Scales, Ingham, Perkins, Hayward, Calver, Boliver, Shambrook, Poulter, Day,
Wales: Ingham, Powell, Boliver

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Boliver from Selattyn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi cvbob

Welcome to Rootschat :D  I hope you enjoy using the site for your family history research.

What exactly is it that you would like to find out about Francis and Eliza? 
Have you seen sight of the parish register for the 1799 marriage? 
Do you know when and where the children were born?

Tell us what information you have already found and we will see if we can help you.

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 06 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan and thanks for response.  My mother was sent a family tree from a cousin (now demised) which I am trying to verify. It shows a Sophia Bolivar b/1801 d/1879 of Ruabon. She married William Powell b/1801 of Ruabon. This "tree" shows she died June 15, 1879 and buried Ground Cefm Mawr.  As this is a somewhat unusual name I am trying to determine if she is the Daughter of Francis Boliver b/1799 and Eliza/Elizabeth Smith who were married 1799 at Saint Martins. There is a Francis Boliver b/1803 Ruabon and another francis b/1812 Ruabon who appears to have died in 1874.  I note sligher variance in spelling but I am finding a few other variances in this "tree".  My mother is trying to find the mailing tube the paper came in ( she keeps everything ) so I can get an address and hopefully track down other relatives who may have the original material.  Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.  Bob Scales in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island.
England: Scales, Ingham, Perkins, Hayward, Calver, Boliver, Shambrook, Poulter, Day,

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Can I just confirm that Sophia Bolivar was born in 1801 Ruabon?  If this is the case then you will need to request a look up of the Ruabon parish records, and you will need to do this on the Denbighshire Look up Requests Board
click here 

Ruabon is situated by Wrexham - now the county of Clwyd, but formerly known as Denbighshire.

I have found Sophia's death in the Civil Registration Index on FreeBMD click here

Deaths June Quarter 1879
POWELL Sophia
District: Wrexham
Volume: 11b
Page: 235

With this information you could request a copy of her death certificate from the General Register Office click here

I hope someone will be able to help you on the Denbighshire board.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 06 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jan. According to the info I have from this demised cousin she was born in Ruabon in 1801 and died in 1879.  I have been putting off ordering the certificate as I have ordered about 2 dozen certificates past few weeks and my wife is threating to take away my MasterCard  ;D 

I am quickly learning where lots of little villages are in Wales and parts of England. I purchased the 2006 super scale AZ Road Atlas to make my life a little easier.

Thanks again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 06 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi cvbob

I've just picked up on this thread.
I have access to parish records for  Ruabon, Selattyn and St Martins - and probably most of the other parishes surrounding them  :) :) :)
What exactly are you looking for - a baptism in 1801 in Ruabon or a marriage in St Martins or a death in Selattyn :-\
The borders are a bit of a nuisance - our ancestors seemed not to respect boundaries and it's difficult to know which board to pick.

Info - (Ruabon is now in Wrexham Borough Council for admin purposes, Denbighshire CC takes in  Llangollen and all things north and west, Merionethshire exists again, but poor old Clwyd has gone :( :( :( )

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget and thanks for message.  I have a family tree my mother received many years ago from a now demised cousin.  It starts off with William Powell (1801-1870 ) and Sophia Bolivar (1801-1879) Shows she is buried Ground Cefn Mawr.  Both were born in Ruabon.  Then from the IGI I found a Francis Boliver m/1799 to Eliza Smith at Saint Martins, Shropshire.  Given it is an usual name ( at least so far ) I was checking to see if anyone else was researching for this name in either Wales or Shropshire.  Any info you might have would be appreciated.  I have sent for the marr. cert. for William Powell and Martha Williams ( son of William and Sophia ) and just starting to slowly work my way back  for this line.   Thanks. Bob Scales in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I'll see if I can find any leads for you. William Powell seems to ring a bell - though it's not such an uncommon name.
Bolivar too - I would imagine that her funeral service would have been Rhosymedre Church if she was buried in Cefn. The northern edge of St Martins parish is adjacent to Rhosymedre/Ruabon.
Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Bob
I've had a look at various sources which I will list, not a huge step forward but hope it will lead you in the right direction :)
First, I looked at the Ruabon parish transcriptions produced by Clwyd FHS. There is no mention here of Boliver/various alternative spellings until 1800.
Then we have:
Baptisms
Mar 12 1800: Aurelia Boliver, d. of Franies (stet) and Elizabeth, Bodylltyn
Feb 22 1801: Sophia Boliver, d. of Francis and Elizabeth, Bodylltyn
Aug 19 1803: Francis Boliver, s. of Francis and Elizabeth, Ruabon
Jan 12 1806: Edward  Boliver, s. of Francis and Elizabeth, Bodylltyn
Aug 23 1812: Francis  Boliver, s. of Francis and Elizabeth, Ruabon
obviously the first Francis died
Bodylltyn is the Rhosymedre part of Ruabon parish

22 October 1800: William Powell, s. of William amd Sarah

Apart from confirming the marriage that you have already found in St Martins - Elizabeth Smith - I can find nothing more in the St Martins fiche from Shropshire FHS.
So no info on the parents in either of these parishes. The nearest I could see from a quick look on the IGI for births around the time one would expect were Elizabeth Smiths in Ellesmere and Oswestry and a Francis Bolver, b. Selattyn, 1765, son of Edward and Jane.
In the broad time frame that we are looking at, there was a lot of activity in the area: Thomas Telford was surveyor for the A5 Toll road and for the Ellesmere - Llangollen canal. There was also an expansion in coal mining and brick making  in the area. So the Bolivers might have come in for any of these reasons or something else.
It might be worth trying to find them in the 18th century and locate their main origins. Then you might be able to have some idea of their migration.

Hope this is of some help

Gadget