Author Topic: I Need Some Advice!  (Read 3584 times)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Some Advice!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 22:34 BST (UK) »
You are all so nice!   I think if it was driving me nuts I would tell a little white lie and say I had been having problems with my computer or something, and if they had replied to you would they please resend.   Patience was never my strong point!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 22:49 BST (UK) »
We are all saying be patient perhaps send another email suggesting they might have not got mickys email or such, but I gather from the thread that micky has alrady sent several emails........ dont think I would be feeling very polite by now like Jill I am not that patient!! ;D

I have like you all had this happen and I have almost resorted to Vodoo :o in revenge but I just hope that maybe if they are passing this off as their own work they will be showing it to others who might just be related and contact me. Hasnt happened yet but I live in hope.

I gave one 2nd cousin lots of info like you no reply several emails later got told he'd only put his name on site cos he was bored thought it might be fun but didnt keep in touch with 1st cousins let alone 2nd put me in my place :P
whose loss?
you could try dozens of emails same day might just get their attention better go now before I incite a riot :-X

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,

Thankyou all so much for your kind words and sound advice, what a great community we have here. :)

I think that it's a shame that this situation has arisen at all, and I must say that I hadn't really given that much thought to 'other' reasons for them not replying, but as some of you have pointed out, there could well be other, unforseen circumstances.

I have decided that I'll leave it another 10 days and then I'll send an email as Kazza suggested and then we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for all your comments,I'll keep you posted,

Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Mick,
I don't come in the Common Room very often so I've only just found your Message about ungrateful relatives.    Iv'e had the same thing happen to me.                             I made contact with a Family who are related on my Dad's side, they were delighted and we spent hours on the Phone, it cost me a small fortune. Then I sent them an email saying I was looking into the possibility of being related to Margaret Thatcher, I've not heard a thing since and that was Five Years ago. Now that's what I call ungrateful.
Good luck Mick and thanks for the help you've given me
Paul.

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that you've also had a bad experience with ungrateful relatives :(

Sadly, it would seem that we're not alone, I have certainly learned a valuable lesson and I will be far more reluctant to disclose my findings with any new family members that I might discover, once bitten twice shy etc...

So,did you ever find out if you are related to Margaret Thatcher? how interesting.

As for the help that I gave you, you're more than welcome, as is everyone who I might have helped on this wonderful site :)

Catch you later,all the best,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 19:09 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Mick no relation to Mrs T but I did get lost on Rhyl beach once.                                                  Someone did tell me the other day I reminded them of the Duke of Edinburgh, any chance of a look up when you've got Five minutes
Paul

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 September 04 12:41 BST (UK) »
I found a cousin I had not seen for 50 years.  In one weekend I found his half sister, then I paid £20 to find his address on an electoral register.

I wrote to him and he did reply.  I sent him all his family tree and photos.  I also sent him a silver cross which belonged to his mother.

That was about a month ago.  Has he said thank you?  Of course not.  He is not on the net but surely he could have phoned to say he received the letter.  I know he did because my sister, who was equally excited to find him, phoned from Australia to make sure he had got her letter.  She asked if he had received my letter and he had.

Oh well I did my best and at least the cross is in the right hands now.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline legs11

• RootsChat Senior
  • my border collie Willow and her first litter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 September 04 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hey Mickey,

I think that it is unfortunate thet you haven't had a reply and I agree that there could be other reasons for them not replying.

You don't say whether you sent the information to them by e-mail or post. If by e-mail, then maybe try by post if you have their address. If by post they could've moved and not settled everything yet.

Keep you chin up, it will come right when you least expect it.

legs11
PRICE, CURTIS, JONES, LUSH<br /><br />WARMINSTER

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 September 04 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Legs11,

I have recieved some great support from everyone here and I'm really very gratefull as it can be hard to know what to do for the best when these things happen, and the feedback that I have had has certainly helped me to decide on my next step :)

I sent the bulk of the information by email, I guess there is the possibility that they didn't recieve it all but then again, one email I could understand, but 5 going astray does make me wonder ???

All the best,Mick ;)

British Military History