Author Topic: any Pynes/Pines in cork  (Read 2391 times)

Offline tiredwithtwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
any Pynes/Pines in cork
« on: Tuesday 28 September 04 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi all,
im trying to search for any surname Pine/Pyne from around mid 1800s.
My grandfather was originally (we think) from Cork, he is John Pyne, b.1889, with a brother Thomas b.1891 and a sister Elizabeth b.1895.  I can find no records of any, in sheffield where they grew up, or otherwise. apparently the surname was spelt Pine, but was changed by John's mother as she felt it sounded 'posher' (or so the family tale goes!)
Anyone have any info?
TIA!
Sue ;D
My emails are no longer working sorry
Spick, Young, Booth, Rodwell - Sheffield;
King - Retford;
Knubley/knubbley - Cumberland, Sheffield, Australia;
Pyne/Pine - Ireland, Ruabon, Sheffield.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: any Pynes/Pines in cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you searched for John and Thomas on the registry of births? These are available at your local family history centre. Prior to 1864, you have to check parish records (for which youneed the parish and religion) or the Griffiths Valuation. Cork was valued 1851-53.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 13:49 BST (UK) »
Sue,just been trawling land valuations Co Cork,link given by Chris;at the start of this forum,some Pyne's noticed in passing.
   Cheer's,Goggy. ;D

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 March 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Pyne is common name around Fermoy, Castlelyons and Rathcormac. My grandmother's sister married one.

Famous one is Jasper Pyne, a member of parliament with a fairly dramatic life. Just heard about him in last year.

http://wlrfm.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=966

http://www.ballyvolanehouse.ie/house_history.htm

and a murder mystery..
http://www.ballyvolanehouse.ie/legend_popup.htm
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline SarahMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 09:00 GMT (UK) »
If you do find a connection back to the Pyne's in Co Cork there is a great series of articles in the Irish Genealogist on the family. 

The reference is Vol 6, pg 696 1985 and continuing into Vol 7, 1986.  I think there were 4 articles - I got as far as the third, having found my branch (there are a few!).  There's also a later update article in a more recent issue but I don't have the reference.

You should check your local library (I found paper copies in Kensington Library, London).  The Irish Genealogist is also on CD-Rom (which is held in Auckland central library in NZ) - one long pdf file but worth the time to search if you find something you're interested in.  And you never know what you might find on the way!  HF Morris is also a Pyne descendent and a very thorough researcher!

Sarah

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Re the earliest Pynes in Ireland , the work of Moses Taylor Pyne and H F Morris both recognise the connection of Henry Pyne of Moghelly and the Devon Pynes of East Down etc (confirmed in the will of Sir Richard Pyne). But neither had been able to confirm the specific link.
Have just come across another possible clue. On an estate map of Henry Pyne of Moghelly  dated 1598 in the National Library of Ireland, there is a depiction of the arms of Henry Pyne. The Pyne arms (three pine cones between a chevron etc) are quartered with another families arms. To me these look like the arms of Wise of Sydenham in Devon - Sable, three chevronels ermine. Now Thomas Pyne of Ham and Morwenstowe was married to Margaret Wise, they had a son Henry Pyne of Ham (who later became MP of Liskeard). This quartering seems to suggest that Henry of Moghelly was descended through that line and cousins to the Pynes of East Down , descended through Thomas' brother George.