Author Topic: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown  (Read 20385 times)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corbetts of near Mitchelstown
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 December 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete,

Certificate duly applied for now. I've entered:

Patrick Corbett and Ellen Condon
Date of Marriage: April to June 1893 (Irish GRO reference)
Place of Marriage and denomination: Mitchelstown  Roman Catholic.

Please let me know if I've entered anything incorrectly before I post it!

Thanks so much,

Ann.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 December 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
the details the GRO require are :

Name
  record type (e.g. marriage)
  registration district
  year/quarter
  volume
  page

just a note that Mitchelstown is the registration district, not necessarily the exact location of the marriage.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 December 09 03:39 GMT (UK) »
You've missed the vital bit!

Name = Patrick Corbett / Ellen Condon
  record type = Marriage
  registration district = Mitchelstown
  year/quarter = 1893, Apr-Jun
  volume = 4
  page = 350

Since it's a civil certificate, I don't think you need the denomination (although there's no harm including it).

Also, make sure you're only ordering the 4 Euro "photocopy of an entry in the register" - no need to pay more! I have an email for GRO Ireland to confirm this is the correct thing to get (see PS)

Pete

P.S. Here's the reply from GRO Ireland - "Where an application includes the correct reference for an entry the €2.00 search fee is deducted from the cost making the cost of a full certifcate €8.00 and the cost of photocopy €4.00.
Photocopies contain exactly the same information as a full longform certificate, however, they cannot be used for legal purposes. "
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 26 December 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Pete and Shane.

There's no section on the form to include the volume and page no., but I will write them underneath anyway. Also, there's no charge of 4 Euro that you can opt for - only 10 Euro. Now, the place I am writing to is the Civil Registration Office in Roscommon (I downloaded the form from an earlier link in this thread). Am I writing to the correct place? Is this the GRO that is being referred to on this thread? The form is entitled 'Application for Marriage Certificate'.

Thanks again - I will get there!

Ann.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 December 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Roscommon is the correct GRO office for ordering certs by post - the address is on their website (http://www.groireland.ie/) :

General Register Office,
 Government Offices,
 Convent Road,
 Roscommon.

The forms are not designed with historic certs in mind, so some of the sections are not relevent. Just ensure all the details mentioned earlier (name, year/qtr, reg. district , vol. , page) are entered, wherever you can fit them, along with your own details (credit card, name & address etc)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 December 09 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Regarding cost - here's the email replies I had from GRO Ireland:

"The cost of full Cert. is 10Euro which includes search fee of 2Euro.
If you have already done the search and provide the ref. details you will only be charged 8Euro
The photocopy is 6euro and this is reduced to 4Euro when ref. details are provided"

"Where an application includes the correct reference for an entry the €2.00 search fee is deducted from the cost making the cost of a full certifcate €8.00 and the cost of photocopy €4.00.
Photocopies contain exactly the same information as a full longform certificate, however, they cannot be used for legal purposes. "

See also the GRO Ireland Fees page at http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm.

I'm fairly certain you should be paying 4 Euros. But since I haven't ordered anything myself, maybe somebody who has could confirm?
Pete

Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete,

I've obtained the marriage cert of my Great grandparents at long last.

Patrick Corbett and Ellen Condon were married on 30th April, 1893 in the RC Chapel of Ballindangan. Patrick's father was Michael Corbett of Ballykiernly and Ellen's father was Michael Condon of Flemingstown.

Witnesses were Richard Johnson and Katie Sullivan.

Does this fit in with your family, Pete?

Ann.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
With your latest information I now think it's almost certain that my great grandfather and yours were brothers.

I Googled Ballykiernly, and this thread was the only hit. (Google suggests "Did you mean: Ballykinler?", but since that's in Co. Down I think it's unlikely). So my guess is that Ballykiernly = Ballykearney. The places that crop up in relation to our Corbett's (i.e. Mitchelstown, Ballykearney, Flemingstown, and Ballindangan) are less than 5 miles apart.

My great-grandparents (Michael Corbett and Bridget Sweeny) were married on 3 Feb 1894 somewhere in Mitchelstown (Parish?). The church is not identified - it's a transcribed record from IFHF. His address is given as Ballandangan, and his father's name as Michael Corbett. Bridget's from Mulberry (part of Mitchelstown now) and her father's Patrick. Witnesses were James Cusack and Catherine Keys.

Hopefully there's a small photo of my great grandfather attached, taken just after the end of WWII.

Pete

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
That's a result then, Pete. We are distant cousins. Shall we combine our family trees and see where we can go from there? I'm hoping to visit the Ballindangan/Flemingstown area with my Uncle in the Summer as he knows where my Great Grandparents' home was, having stayed there during WW2.

This is great progress.

Regards,

Ann.