Author Topic: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy  (Read 38593 times)

Offline Baronstown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigys of Ballynacarrigy
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cousin Brennan
I've sent you the little information I have on Kate but I will try to research her a bit more. Currently trying to find out more about her aunt "Mrs Margaret Carrigy", I will keep you posted.  :)

Offline Baronstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
For "streetcarrigys"

Peter Carrigy and Anne Murtagh were married on 12th Oct 1881 and it is recorded in the Parish of Mayne's book for Coole.  It's possible they were married in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Coole which opened in 1841.  I have a copy of the Parish record if you would like it.

Regards Miranda

(Julia Carrigy's Granddaughter))

Offline street carrigys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 October 15 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi to all Carrigys worldwide, and in particular to "Baronstown" and "Splask" Brennan granddaughter of Julia. The message from Miranda Regarding date and place of Marriage of Peter Carrigy and Anne Murtagh in 1881 is very important to those researching this branch and for my research linking Carrigy families worldwide.
Regarding Kate Carrigy who went to New York to stay with her Aunt Margaret, Kate was I believe sister to Julia Daly nee Daly but that Margaret (perhaps married) was not connected to the USA Carrigy family connected to distant Carrigy cousins here in Australia. Another branch more closely related to our clan resided in Alabama, USA but again no Margaret there.
For those interested in Cork Carrigies, one family from Blarney were closely linked to your lot the others from Cork City our closer cousins one of whom we stayed with in 1988, namely John Carrigy.
Hope to stay connected to Carrigys with those descendants of our common ancestors James Carrigy of Street and Ann Cox of Ardagh.
John great grandson of James Carrigy of Street and Mary White of Clonwhelan.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 24 October 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi street carrigys - nice to hear from you.  I'm reasonably confident now that Kate (Katie) (b. 1891) was a sister of my grandmother Julia Daly, and confirm that the Margarey Carrigy that was her arrival contact in NYC had residence at a hospital on west 59th street in NYC where she worked as a cleaner.

While I can find a record of Margaret in the 1920 census, I can't find any further records of Katie at all.

Margaret was born in Ireland 1862 and immigrated to the USA in 1864.

Offline Baronstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 November 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I have just uploaded a photo of my great grandfather, Richard Carrigy, formerly of Westmeath, latterly of Nangana Victoria, Australia.  The photo seems to have been cut from a larger one.  I was just wandering if it was part of a larger Carrigy photo someone may have.  Here's hoping.  Rosemary
Hi Rosemary
If Richard Carrigy was born 1852 died 1923, I have recently placed him in my tree. Our shared ancestor being James Carrigy (born 1780 married Ann Cox (thanks streetcarrigys for this informaton), they had 3 sons including Michael Cariggy (my 3rd Great Uncle)  whose son Peter (1809-67) was Richard Carrigy's Father. I have sent you an invite to my tree on Ancestry.

Warm regards
Miranda

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 September 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Carrigy family worldwide,

I'd like to revive this thread to remember our lovely Carrigy family. Can we clarify who is descended from who? I am Margaret Carrigy's granddaughter, she was born in 1895 and her parents were Peter and Anne (nee Murtagh).

Regards to you all,

Ann.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 16 September 17 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I'm Julia Daly's (née Carrigy) grandson, and Colette Brennan's son, Paul.  When I was a kid, I met Tony Corbett who I think might be your uncle?

I live in NYC and have located the graves for Katie and Matthew Carrigy in Queens who were your great Aunt and Uncle.  They both died quite young in New York City.

The biggest mystery that I'm still working on is who was the Margaret Carrrigy that met Katie Carrigy at immigration in 1908.

Katie emigrated to NYC on June on June 6th 1908 on the Baltic from Queenstown.  She was met by an Aunt Margaret with an address at 447 West 59th st.  - a hospital.

Kate Carrigy is also listed on the detained aliens list, contact is Aunt Margaret Carrigy with an address at 383 Ave A.  This is also the address of a Thomas Carrigy which is the contact used by Margaret Carrigy when entering NYC on Oct 23rd 1902 and Sep 7th 1910.  I believe that Margaret might have been born in Ireland in 1862 and emigrated to the USA in 1864.

Even with this detail, I can't place Margaret or Thomas Carrigy in the family tree though...

Offline Hawkshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,

We are second cousins, then, as my father, Pat, and your mother, Colette were first cousins. Thank you for replying! Tony Corbett is indeed my uncle and he lives in Co. Tipperary now.

It's a shame that Katie and Matthew died quite young, do you know what from? My Nanny, Margaret Corbett (nee Carrigy), was 81 when she died in London. I see from the 1901 census that Katie would only have been 17 and Matthew only 19 when they went to NYC.

I note from the 1911 census that my Nanny Margaret was not at home in Faughalstown even though she was only 16. I wonder where she had gone to, perhaps she had already gone to London by then, but that is so young!

Do you have any record of Peter Carrigy's, their father's, siblings? This Margaret must have been a sister of his, do you think? Or perhaps she was married to one of his brothers. I'll ask my cousin, Lorraine, to ask Uncle Tony if he knows anything about the ancestors who went to NYC.

I believe that it was often women travelling alone or with children who were detained until they knew someone would look after them.

I will keep searching about the Margaret Carrigy in NYC.

Many thanks for replying,

Ann.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Margaret 1911 ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Glore/Turbotstown/881663/

the house was owned by Major Gerald Dease who may have been in Australia in 1911
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9CH-H7PG

his wife Florence signed the 1901 Census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001257603/