Author Topic: ROTHWELL, Wheelwrights, Bury  (Read 825 times)

Offline Ossie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ROTHWELL, Wheelwrights, Bury
« on: Wednesday 29 September 04 06:33 BST (UK) »
Any connections to Richard b 1817 in Walmsley, William b 27 Mar 1840 in Tottington or Adam b 01 May 1873 in Bury? Any information about the business also welcome.

Thanks

Ossie
Bouncing Emails

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ROTHWELL, Wheelwrights, Bury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 04 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Ossie,

What a great Lancashire Name 'eh Rothwell ! If you check the census returns you will see that the name originates from the Lancashire area.

I did a quick search of the Slaters Directory for Bury 1855 and there were no Rothwell Wheelwrights listed I am afraid. What year did they have the business and was it in Bury itself ???

How have you gone on with the census returns ? have you managed to track them down I guess it will be quite a popular to search in the area.

BS
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Ossie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ROTHWELL, Wheelwrights, Bury
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback.

Have not really followed up the earlier records, but I know that William was a wheelwright in Bury, and Adam was variously a printer, a furrier in Marble Street, Manchester, a news compositor (1897) and an engine maker fitter (1901). His son William moved to Cambridge as a furrier.

Adam married Amy Alice Noden at Brunswick Chapel in Bury on 7 Jul 1897.

Any more news welcome.

Ossie
Bouncing Emails