Author Topic: Mary Lyon  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Lyon
« on: Monday 20 February 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone recognise the name Mary Lyon from Banffshire?

Mary had a daughter Eliza Jane Lyon in 1847 in Gravesend, Kent where she worked as a domestic servant. I don't know if she went there to have her baby as she was single at the time. She later married a David Constant.

The only Mary Lyon I can find with suitable dates was born at Forglen, Banff on 30/6/1832.

Funnily enough Eliza returned to Cullen, Banff to get married in 1866.

Any help is appreciated.

Margaret

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lyon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 22:25 GMT (UK) »
You are suggesting that Mary had left home, travelled to the other end of the country, and had a baby by the age of 15. It's not impossible, but I think it is less likely than that there was another, older Mary Lyon whose baptism is not recorded.

What was the age of Mary Lyon when she was married? Have you found her in a census and if so what did she say her age was at that time? Does her marriage certificate give her father's name?

The 1841 census (http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) lists four Mary Lyons in Banffshire. One is aged 8, living in the household of James Lyon, 48, and Jean Lyon, 30 in Forglen.

Then there is an 11-year-old in Banff in the household of James Lyon, 38, keeper of prison, and Margaret Lyon, 35, and a string of other children.

Then a 15-year-old servant in the household of James Allan, baker.

The fourth one is aged 45 so I think can be discounted.

Neither the 11-year-old nor the 15-year-old was born in Banffshire. However I think the latter is a more likely candidate for your Mary Lyon than the 8-year-old.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lyon
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 06 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I've caused any confusion here.

I have no indication that Mary Lyon was from Scotland -it was just a thread I was trying since Eliza Jane came to Scotland to get married.

I can't find any record of Mary Lyon or David Constant in England so I was widening my search.

In 1847 Mary Lyon lived at Princes Street, Gravesend. She isn't in the 1841 or 1851 census.

I found a Mary Constant in the 1881 census who was 47 but that would have made her 13 at Eliza's birth and although possible, I dismissed it.

Sorry, it's so frustrating.

Margaret