Author Topic: Rake Lane Cemetery  (Read 22645 times)

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rake Lane Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 29 September 04 08:40 BST (UK) »
I believe my gggrandfather Thomas McNab(Mariner) is buried at Rake Lane Cemetery....he was said to have died at 94 years and was born in approx 1840 in Scotland. His last address in 1901 was Pulton cum Seacombe.. although I do not have any idea of the date of his death, I am looking at around the 1930's. I believe his children and wife were also buried in the same cemetery, Can anyone help please, as I have already checked Cheshire BDM and Lancashire BDM and IGI.
Thank you
Andrea  :)
Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)
Gallop/Southwood/Northcott/Rowland(Somerset-Gloucestershire)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rake Lane Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 04 23:16 BST (UK) »
Andrea This is amazing. I have been collecting on nice days from this very cemetery. Inscriptions of Merchant seamen & R.N.R .that i have just last week started a new topic with I also live in the area so i think i should be able to help you.I can look up Thomas McNabs birth place in scotland, i hope, i can also get the oridginal print-out for Poulton cum Seacome for 1901. Another thing i can do is find out when he was buried and the plot. If the grave stone is still standing and it should be. i will take a photo for you.  Both My Grandfather a Master Marina  and a marine engineer are buried in the same cemetery. It Might take a week or 2 to do all this. As I have to go to the main place to obtain the plot number + map and the burial date from the records. then  find the plot. So will start on Monday. I will send you the info when i have got it all in.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 04 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia...I cant thank you enough...as I think most of the McNabs are buried there. Leonora Thomas's wife and possibly some of the children. I have a cousin living in New Brighton, but she doesnt have time to do anything as she teaches and has a family, and three boys. As the cemetary isnt online, I must say its great that you are doing that.
Cheers
Andrea
Ward/Turner/Pountain/Blaney(Shropshire-Staffs)              Mitchell/McNab/Clarke(Somerset-Lancashire-Leicestershire-Perthshire)

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 04 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Salopian I mentioned maybe you should try Liverpool and Leicester in your search. Well i just had a look on the 1881 census ( after checking the birth years of the children you sent me) on family search, it's quicker than searching my own. Your McNab family are on it and another two children that i mentioned you had room for. Living at 12 Barlow lane in Kirkdale. Course you may have this but maybe not. You should now be able to find the births of the children1875 1877 & 1883  in Liverpool. If you get the 1891 census that will tell you if they were still in liverpool or not.

Celia                                                                      P.S found the C of Isabel (age 26 on the 1901 census)Eliza McNab on 19th November 1874 at st Mary's in kirkdale. Parents Thomas & Leonora McNab
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 04 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia...yes I have the census for 1881 and also 1891 (they lived in Walton Liverpool)..then moved to the Wirral...the other three sons were in the Merchant Navy as well...my grandmother is Isabel...
I just wanted to find the cemetery records, as on the marriage certificate for Thomas and Leonora,(they were married in Liverpool) his parent is listed as Robert McNab gentleman, born Scotland, and no mother listed. The problem I have is finding out where in Scotland he was born...and thats proving to be difficult in getting the right one.
I thought maybe the death records would show where he was born etc.
Thank you again Celia...call me Andrea  ;D

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
No Andrea the death record wont show where he was born only where he died. Why when asked where they were born by the census taker did all the Scot's say Scotland. ;D Mine did found her eventualy.

Celia     Night night                           
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Salopian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia...I wish I was over there..as its gets so frustrating trying to do searches this end..I found so many Thomas McNabs in Scotland..but maybe on his tombstone, if there is one, it might say exactly how old he was, as his age seems to vary one or two years on the census. Good luck :) Andrea

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea I wasnt able to go where i had intended to go today. My son has a wrist injury and is unable to drive. so will go later in the week. I thought maybe i could find the death of  Thomas's Wife Leonora as she was 10 years younger, in cheshire.   or wirral. Didnt have any luck just as was going cross eyed ;D
I came across a Martha McNab who died December 1900 on the wirral.( I went back to that date to see if there was ny Macnabs in the wirral at that time) could she be related to your family. when i came back i went on free B.M.D. You may have done so. I found McNab Deaths in macclesfield, birkenhead, up to 1910. as these are both very close to the wirral (cheshire) they could be related.

Celia P.S if you read this earlier on you will see i have rectified my error ::)
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea, an update for you. I decided on leaving the hospital after my physiotherapy(i broke my arm in july :() That i would go to Landican and ask about the burial records.Because i just missed the bus they were closed when i got there. After waiting 2 hours for them to open i went back after having a meal in the pub ;D Only to be told that they no longer have the records. they are now in the town hall in birkenhead. She said the records from all the cemetery's are being transcribed into fich. this is wonderfull news and the first i have heard. It will make research so much easier because the plot number will i hope be on them.So i went back into B/Head to the town Hall. where landican said they are open from 2 till 4 monday to Friday. Wrong the desk was. Anyway i have to phone tomorrow befor i go. Hopfully they will have the st cath's index for he 1900. I am going to look for the death in <1936>is that about right? then you can send for a death certificate Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials