Author Topic: McGRORYs/McRORYs from the Inishowen  (Read 3550 times)

Offline pmcrory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGRORYs/McRORYs from the Inishowen
« on: Tuesday 21 February 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Ongoing research project on the McGrory or McRory families and descendants, from around the Buncrana/Dunree/Tonduff area of the Inishowen.  I am a relative/descendant, keen to get in touch with anyone who has heard of us and/or may know of one of us. 

My GF was Patrick McRory (formerly McGrory)(b. 1892), son of John McGrory (b. 1844) and Ellen McLaughlin.  Paddy's siblings were James (b. 1879), Edward (b. ab 1880), Roseanne, Dan, Frances (Fannie)(b. 1885), Ellen (b. ab 1887), John (b. 1890), Phil (b. 1894), Bernard (b. 1900), and a couple of others. 

From this start I have a 500-name tree and contact with many descendants who have since emigrated.  I would really like to get in touch with any other family members who I don't know of yet - especially from the local area - to find out more about us.  Will happily share my research with anyone who is interested: and keen to get the younger generation of the family involved also.

Other names linked to us: McLaughlin, Toland, Docherty, Rodden, McConnellogue, Ferguson, Connolly.  Please get in touch.

Paul

Offline kargil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McGRORYs/McRORYs from the Inishowen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if I have written to you before? My McGrorys came to Glasgow late 1800's I think (have just started this line) I have the father Michael, born co. Donegal- 1876. His father, also Michael, was a farmer - married to a Mary Lang or Langon? Part of my search has just thrown up the name Rodden???
Any connection?
Stanley,Bentley,Zebedee in Calne,Chippenham or York

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I was checking this site out and I have McGrory's in my family my connection is a Joseph McGrory farm labour (deceased) married to Mary
Farren (Deceased)

any connection

Winniep :)

Offline urrisned

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
****  ITS  JUST  Mc GRORY,  AND  ITS  MUINEAGH,   DESERTEGNY,  BUNCRANA  ***

Offline Dance Student

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
My great grandfath Patrick McGrory (1861-1943) was born in Ireland, emigrated abt 1886 to NY. He stated on a legal document that his parents were Patrick McGrory and Mary Doherty. My DNA results lead me to speculate that they were possibly from a townland in Inishowen -- I'm looking at many others who share DNA with me who have McGrory families from Magherabane (Tonduff) in their tree. Can anyone help me to narrow this down? My grandfather may have been related to Michael McGrory & wife Fannie McLaughlin from Magherabane/Tonduff. Michael may also have had a sister Rose McGrory who emigrated to Boston and was married to Timothy Dennehy.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you checked to see if baptism might be online? (or available elsewhere)
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dance Student

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Agadowey, thanks. I haven't been able to locate any records online that directly connect me. Civil records and parish records are very incomplete for the time period I need.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0353   and surrounding Parishes
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dance Student

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
OK, many thanks. I'll have another look at the neighboring parishes. You never know, I may have missed something!