Author Topic: Help where is Daisy Bank Stafford please?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help where is Daisy Bank Stafford please?
« on: Wednesday 29 September 04 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Gt x 3 Grandfather according to the 1881 census was born in a place called Daisy Bank Stafford in 1850.
Cannot find him on any census prior to 1881 he married my Gr x 3 Grandmother in Nottingham and he was a miner.
In 1881 he was living with his wife's family in Nottingham.
Somebody has told me that an area of Burslem used to be called Daisy Bank does anybody no where Daisy Bank is please!!!!!!!
Cheryl

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help where is Daisy Bank Stafford please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi. If you go to the following link there is a map. Bottom right hand corner is Dresden, up a bit from there are Daisy Bank Brickworks and Pottery. Guess Daisy Bank is around there. (It is best to right click on the map, copy and paste to something like Corel Photo-paint or even Word, then you can zoom in and read it properly ;D

http://www.thepotteries.org/maps/1890/blurton.gif

ps
Well you learn something new....move curser to bottom right and up pops a funny icon, if you click on that the map expands too.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackie s-o-t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 18:47 BST (UK) »
hi cheryl,

there is a daisy bank in alsager and one in leek both in staffs, had a look on 1851 leek yesterday but cannot spot your relation, dont think alsager on my 1851,

all the best,

jackie.

Offline cherylg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 04 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie and the Gardener

Thanks for your help now I just need to find a census with him on?
Jackie that map is great!
Can't get any further back untill I can find him in 1851 which is the year he was born
Regards
Cheryl

Offline Bryt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 05 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Daisy Bank is in Longton, Stoke on Trent. It was re-named in the 1960's to Spring Garden Road.
See  www.thepotteries.org/streets/longton
RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

All Stoke on Trent unless stated otherwise.

Offline Roadie58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant. I too have a relative born in Daisy Bank. My grandmother lived in Heathcote Road just to the NW of the Daisy bank works, and her father was a miner, all makes sense with the map posted by Jackie.

Thanks.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Daisy Bank is in Longton, Stoke on Trent. It was re-named in the 1960's to Spring Garden Road.
See  www.thepotteries.org/streets/longton
The URL is http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/longton_dev.htm
I think it should be in the 1860s. It is called Spring Garden Road on the 1877 Town Plan of Longton https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/390860/342937/13/100551
On the 1857 Town Plan it is called Daisy Bank. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/390860/342937/13/100325

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk