Author Topic: Purcell - Muckalee  (Read 23019 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Purcell - Muckalee
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 January 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
From book "Ossory Laois and Leinster"
Chapter - The 1821 census returns in the Carrigan Manuscripts by Fearghus O Fearghail.

Muckalee Parish
Clorank
John Purcell         66    Farmer  100 acres
Elizabeth wife       50
Dorathy  dau        35
Mary        "           22
Margaret   "           20
Anne         "           16  (born Jany 1804)
Bessy        "            14
Margaret  niece        22
Thomas   brother      70

Wildfield (and Knockmajor)

John Purcell         56   farmer    18 acres
Elennor       wife   45
Tobias          son    24
William          "       22
Richard          "       20
Catherine      Dau    18
Pat                son     16
Michael           "        14
Judy              dau       9
Nicholas         son       4

William Purcell        43   farmer  25 acres
Richard   brother     37
Mary       sister        41

Offline crayspond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My husband is from the Purcell family and i have been doing some research over the years.  Reading these posts I can't seem to fit anyone in but here goes.

Furthest back i can go is a church marriage record for Philip Purcell address Blackwood marries Mary Cahill on 24/09/1832 in the parish/district Lisdowney County Kilkenny. Age and parents names not recorded.  2 witnesses - John Dunne and Anastasia (Ansty) Walsh.

I also found the following children they had

Judith - date of baptism 18/9/1833 address Freshford Co Kilkenny Sponsor/informant Oliver Blanchfield and Mary Purcell.

John - date of baptism 19/5/1835 address Freshford Co Kilkenny Sponsor/informant Andrew Maher and Bridget Malone.

Bridget -  date of baptism 14/2/1837 address Freshford Co Kilkenny Sponsor/informant Patrick Blansfield and Bridget Delahunty.

Margaret - date of baptism 02/06/1838 address Freshford Co Kilkenny Sponsor/informant Edmund Purcell and Mary Blansfield.

Patrick - date of baptism 15/12/1840 address Freshford Co Kilkenny Sponsor/Informant Daniel Healey and Bridget Maher.

My husband's line was from John Purcell. He married Annie Gray in Glasgow 31/12/1864. They regularly went back and forward to Dublin as they had 2 children born there Mary Katherine in 1866 and William Patrick Allen in 16/2/1868. 3 more were born in Glasgow.

There seems to be no information on the brothers and sisters of John. I was fearing the worst and that they had suffered in the famine. I think they must have moved to Dublin at some point as that's where they went back to on visits. It's heartening to hear that some may have went to Australia or New Zealand.

Hope this helps someone!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 February 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »

Offline jpurcell91

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 July 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am currently doing research on the Purcell family. I have traced back 3x great grandfather,  William Purcell who was born in Kilkenny in 1828. The only child of his I have listed is James Bernard Purcell (1866-1960). I am currently at a roadblock.

After reading through this thread, I believe I am related to the more thoroughly researched Purcell members, and I am hoping to make that connection. I understand some of the Purcells stayed in Ireland, and others traveled to Australia. My direct ancestors traveled to Michigan and I am hoping to get more details on these events. Please let me know if you can be of any help.

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 June 21 07:06 BST (UK) »
Having decided to take a break from the brickwall that is my Northern Ireland ancestors, I'm now  looking into my husband's family tree who I believe has a connection to the Purcell's mentioned in this conversation. His great grandfather was Thomas Purcell, son of Tobias Purcell and Ann Ryan, with Tobias being the son of John Purcell and Bridget Nolan. I would be thrilled to chat and share information with anyone that is also connected to this family. Regards, Julie

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 December 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-county/kilkenny/carrigan-history-and-anti/

Above link for Carrigan's  History of Diocese of Ossory - In Volume 3,   page 466 - 475 there is a history of "Purcells of Ballyfoyle"