Author Topic: 1841 census please in Cusop Herefordshire  (Read 1396 times)

Offline sunnybower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census please in Cusop Herefordshire
« on: Thursday 23 February 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a gg grandmother called MARY BARROW born 1828 in CUSOP. She would be about 13 yrs old in the 1841 census
Any help would be appreciated.
Reseaching own family history<br />DAVIES in Glamorgan/Carmarthenshire/Workington (back to 1797)<br />KAY in Bolton/Wigan/Blackpool (back to 1766)<br />CROOME in Almondsbury (back to 1830)<br />HILL in Bedfordshire ( 1921 so far)<br />GREENWOOD in Rishton and Accrington.(Back to 1785)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census please in Cusop Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 06 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There's no Mary Barrow but there is Mary Burrow

John Burrow  45  Butcher   Y
Ann Burrow  44   Y
John Burrow Jnr  23  Butcher   Y
W'm Burrow  18  Butcher   Y
Mary Burrow  13    Y

Capenter? Lane
Hereford St. Peters

HO107/433  folio 34  page 31

(Y = Yes born in county)

Susan  :)

Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 06 08:29 GMT (UK) »

Could she be over the border into Breconshire.
Cusop is right next to Hay on Wye.

Offline sunnybower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies from EBN and Keziahemm

EBN - Looked on the map yesterday and noticed how close to the border it was. Got another reply which suggests the name should read BURROW!!!. Thanks again

Keziahemm - That looks very promising the age is right and the place. As an adult she was involved in faming in Lancashire. I know surnames do change as a lot of people could not read or write at this time. My own surname changed for 10 years in 1881 to 1891. Thanks very much again, I will do a little more digging

Regards
Brian
Reseaching own family history<br />DAVIES in Glamorgan/Carmarthenshire/Workington (back to 1797)<br />KAY in Bolton/Wigan/Blackpool (back to 1766)<br />CROOME in Almondsbury (back to 1830)<br />HILL in Bedfordshire ( 1921 so far)<br />GREENWOOD in Rishton and Accrington.(Back to 1785)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »

No Barrows or Burrows in Cusop in 1851 census - do you know wher eshe might have been then ?

Offline sunnybower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 06 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi EBN

Thanks for the reply.
I cant find them in 1851 in Hereford either?
I do know she married my gg grandfather in Dec1858 in Bolton (Lancashire) who was a John KAY born 1836 in Bolton. (Kay was my mothers maiden name)
On Free BMD she is there as Mary BARROW? and on the 1871 census it is recorded she was born 1928 in Cusop so it is a high probability it is the same person. I have looked for them in the Lancashire census in 1851 with no luck so I have no idea where they went......
The connection with being a butchers daughter fits as my Kays were all farm stock and butchers in Turton and Bolton Lancs at that time. I know names were miss spelled on various census records as my own name was in 1871 for 10 years then put right.

Regards
Brian