Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106269 times)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have read through all the MOTT messages and would very much like to know whether you or anyone has a Thomas MOTT who married Ann COOK. The only info I have is that Ann COOK was born in Wymondham, Norfolk, (UK) in 1790 and christened 14 March 1790. She appears (as MOTT) on the 1851 census at Norwich, Norfolk, aged 52 a widow.
I know this is very little info, but hopefully someone can fill in gaps............
Regards,
Margaret103

Offline patmotty

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandparents wedding in Dorset 1917
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
I have many MOTTS in my tree in Essex and Australia.  I am needing help with trying to find the parents of Charles Mott who married Charlotte Porter (from Wrabness) in 1853.  Does anyone know this Charle's parents names please.

Pat Mott
Australia
Hawkes - Staffordshire UK & Australia
Mott - Essex UK & Australia
Holgate - Essex UK & Australia
Paveley - Essex UK & Australia
Dines - Essex UK & Australia
Rigg - Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland and Australia
Anderson Yorkshire UK & Australia
Conroy - Devon & Australia
Campbell - Scotland, Devon & Australia
Davis - Cork Ireland & Australia
Studley - Dorset/Devon UK
Broom - Devon UK
Wood/s - Australia
Green/e - Australia

Offline RolandDavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 18 April 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
Fred/tradelin,

I've made some changes/additions to my post above about George Henry MOTT and Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK, and their descendants.

My (1st cousin twice removed) Elizabeth Emily (or Emily Elizabeth) DAVIES and her husband  Melbourne Charnock Delamotte MOTT did not have children (her death certificate, under issue, reads "Not any").

From searching the Web in the distant past, I had been aware that the MOTT family were newspaper proprietors
An uncle of mine (no longer with us) had once said to my niece that there were relatives called MOTT who were newsagents in Essendon (that's how I found Melbourne Charnock Delamotte MOTT some years back and, with such wonderful names, how could I resist following Melbourne's family up further) - perhaps that's what Melbourne Charnock Delamotte did for a living, or perhaps it was a confusion with Elizabeth Emily (DAVIES) MOTT's father, Maurice Edward DAVIES, who was a Newsagent in Essendon (a suburb of Melbourne).  Given that my Uncle was born in 1916, and Melbourne had died in 1915, that seems possible - though another possibility might be that the widowed Elizabeth Emily/Emily Elizabeth (DAVIES) MOTT ran her father's newsagency after her father's death in 1926; now that I've downloaded her death cert and have a specific date of death, I must look in the 1951 Melbourne newspapers for notices.

Are the Victorian MOTTs connected to your wife's MOTTs - or just a peripheral part of your one-name study.

Regards,

JAP

I am new to this and spotted my great great grandfather's name Maurice Edward Davies.  His son Maurice Howard Davies became a successful businessman in Newcastle NSW and apparently died before his father in 1917. Maurice Edward's grandson George was killed in 1918 in ww1.

RolandDavies

Offline patmotty

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandparents wedding in Dorset 1917
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

It is years now since I had contact with.  You were so helpful with my Mott line in Essex.  I come from the John Mott/Elizabeth Dines marriage in Writtle/Chelmsford 1779.  Have you ever been able to find out more about both of their parents.  I have John Mott's parents as George Mott and Susanna ??? and go back to George Mott and Susannah paveley with very little information.  Would love to find out more about them.

Kind regards

Pat Mott Australia
Hawkes - Staffordshire UK & Australia
Mott - Essex UK & Australia
Holgate - Essex UK & Australia
Paveley - Essex UK & Australia
Dines - Essex UK & Australia
Rigg - Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland and Australia
Anderson Yorkshire UK & Australia
Conroy - Devon & Australia
Campbell - Scotland, Devon & Australia
Davis - Cork Ireland & Australia
Studley - Dorset/Devon UK
Broom - Devon UK
Wood/s - Australia
Green/e - Australia

Offline RolandDavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I am not Fred, and I might have led you astray by including the post from Jap which took my interest.  My great great grandfather (Maurice Edward Davies) married Mary Ann Burke. I think it was his sister Elizabeth Emily Davies who married into the Mott family.
I am new to this,  but will learn.

Roland Davies - Newcastle, Australia

Offline Ethel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Roland,
Just read your note again. Emily Mott was a daughter of Maurice edward Davies and Mary Anne Burke. Maurice died in Victoria in 1905. I have a bit of info on the family if you are interested. We are very keen to find relatives
 regards heather

Offline RolandDavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, any information you have would be of interest to me.
My email address is (*)
My phone no. is (*)
I live in Newcastle and Have a fair knowledge about Maurice Howard Davies's family in this area.  I have a limited amount about Maurice Edward Davies and the Burkes.  I recently had an email from someone who I think is descended from another brother of Maurice Howard.   "George"?  The last George Davies in our part of the family died in World War 1 but the name Howard has continued right through to one of my grandchildren.

Roland Davies

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mott/motte/motts
« Reply #160 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
Great little story about a Mott(s) becoming Mayor in New York, Shame I cannot verify it ! Unfortunately I don't have any info on that - I have a total of 58 Mott's (so far) that were born in Stockport, but no indication on any that even emigrated, never mind becoming Mayor.

No, I'm not directly related to the Mott's - I married one !!! Started her tree along with mine back in 1980, decided that a one-name study on Mott's might be a good idea, and 24 years later am still compiling the names & dates
both on index cards and trying to get all of it onto a database. Managed just over 15,000 so far, so still about another 10,000 to go !!
 Keeps me out of the pubs, and away from the dreadful TV rubbish.
All the best,
Fred

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tradelin,
Just seen your message on MOTT etc, saying you had 15,000.
Would you have, by any chance, a Thomas, or John MOTT who married an Ann COOK. They had a daughter Frances born circa 1819 at Holborn, London. Do you have any info on this family?

Regards,
Margaret