Author Topic: James & Agnes Robison  (Read 16604 times)

Offline alpal

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Robison
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 April 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
Gday Brolga,
Just catching up with James and Agnes story, brought to my attention by Lindamax.I am related through the Barkley,s.I live quite near where Agnes was tragically burnt to death on the 7th of January 1880 at a place known as Crossenvale in Echuca,Victoria,Australia.Crossenvale is named after Dr Crossen who attended Agnes during her shocking ordeal.
Regards Alpal

Yes, that is the correct Agnes Barclay/Barkley, grand-daughter of McGeorges.
Not only Agnes and, apparently Katherine, but, I believe, a brother Walter also emmigrated to Australia.

Monica, you have a plausible suggestion about James Robison.
I didn't know the Scottish naming conventions.

Thank you everyone.

Barkley/Barclay/Sloan/Curtis/McKellar/McLachlan

Offline Lindamax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 May 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again Brolga,
Firstly I've been looking over the info from Alan on his Barkley/McGeorge tree and I noticed that Agnes's older sister Helen (b 1815) married a John Robison and they had a son, Hugh -born abt 1836. It seems  he is living with Janet and John Barkley in the 1841 census for Kirkpatrick Durham(his name is transcribed as Robson Age 3) (and he's with them in the 1851 census as Monica mentioned age 14)
I also looked up my Memorial Inscriptions (pre 1855) book that I have for K.D and found this:
Thos ROBISON died Kirkpatrick village 3.9. 1851 79yrs, son Hugh died Twynholm village 19.10.1835 29, daughter Eliz d B??(printing a bit faint here) 2.12. 1835 26, Wife Isabella HAIR died Kirkpatrick village 5.10.1854 79yrs
(The notes just give the bare facts on the stone not what's actually written) This seems to be the Thos & Isabella Monica found on 1851 census. And it all ties in with the Scottish naming system!!If they are James's parents.
There are HAIR  names on both stones on each side of this stone. One male b. abt 1746/7
If you want the details of those just say.
In the Cumulative surname index for Kirkcudbrightshire M.I's pre-1855 there are Robisons in all areas.
Bye the noo
Lin
McGeorge.Turner.Fletcher.
McCall.Kean.Concher.
Sword. Hannay.Neilson  DfsShire KbtShire WgtShire
MacBenn.Benn.Fryer
Maskell.Barlow          Staffs.Worcs. Durham.Yorkshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
I'm back on the trail of James Robison! A bit more detail thanks to the additional info from Linda. Again, from IGI and Scotlands People OPRs:

ISABEL HAIR  Marriages: THOMAS ROBSON 13 JUN 1805 Terregles, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

Apart from James, we now have four older children to Thomas and Isabella:

1. HUGH ROBSON born 20 June 1806 in Terregles, probably first born
2. ELISABETH ROBSON  Christening:  08 FEB 1808  Parton, Kirkcudbright, Scotland. Parents: Father: THOMAS ROBSON
3. JOHN ROBSON born 28 Dec 1809 Parton, Kirkcudbright, Father Thomas Robson
4. MARY MELVILLE ROBSON  Christening: 09 APR 1812  Parton, Kirkcudbright,
Parents: Father: THOMAS ROBSON

Now, Hugh we know from Linda died in 1835.  Elizabeth also seems to have died young nealy two months later that year.

John, we know married Helen Barkley and had at least one son Hugh b. circa 1835/6 who went to live with his maternal grandparents. I wonder if Helen also died at this time? I have found I think a second marriage for John in 1839. I've also found the family in 1851 census with the oldest son called Thomas and John Robison's birth place is shown as Parton.

JOHN ROBSON Parents: Father: THOMAS ROBSON             
Marriages: Spouse:  AGNES CARSON 15 FEB 1839 Kirkpatrick Durham, Kirkcudbright, Scotland (source IGI)

1851 Census:
ROBISON Agnes, Age 35, wife, b. Kirkpatrick Dur
ROBISON Elizabeth, age 3, daughter, b. Kirkpatrick Dur
ROBISON Grace, age 6, daughter, b. Kirkpatrick Dur         
ROBISON Jean, age I month, b. Kirkpatrick Dur
ROBISON John, age 41, Farm Servant, b. Parton Kbt
ROBISON Robert, age 9, b. Kirkpatrick Dur
ROBISON Thomas, age 11, b. Kirkpatrick Dur

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jwb46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 May 06 03:49 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if you are interested but I have been tracing the Barclay (Berkley,Barkley,Barkly etc) name and visited Kirkpatrick Durham in Oct 2005.
On the head stone of my ancestors grave (plot no.176)I noted one of the insciptions as "Also Hellen Barkley  who died 8th December 1847 aged 32 years.
I have the complete inscription if would like it along with some research reports.
In the Search of the Old Parish Registers of Kirkpatrick Durham there is an inscription by the request of John Barkly which states Hugh (Robson) son of John Robson and Hellen Barkly born at Kirkpatick Village 17th July 1836.
I am quite happy to pass on any of this inforamtion. 

Offline alpal

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 May 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Gday Brolga,
Not sure if you have this information but I will submit it and you can make what you will of it.
Agnes Seaton Barkley was born 15 February 1828,Scotland and died 7 Janauary 1880 Echuca Australia.She married James Robison 5 March 1854 Scotland.I believe James died 1898,Sheppperton,Victoria,Australia.Children born in Mt Egerton,Victoria Australia were
Janet,1863,Walter,1867,Mary,1869.
Agnes died from the effects of burns as a result of sparks from her husbands pipe which ignited her dress and hay that the family were carrying on their cart.Kerosene was also on the cart.This occured on an extremely hot day during a severe drought.The children and James escaped unscathed.The coroner ruled death by accident.This is a brief summary of the Coroners report.
Barkley/Barclay/Sloan/Curtis/McKellar/McLachlan

Offline Lindamax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 May 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
Well hello there Jwb46,
I would like to take up your offer of more info etc. I have the gravestone details for John Barkley (No 176 as you mentioned) and I'm sure some of the others would too. Which family branch are you?
I'm McGeorge line.
Lin

McCall.Kean.Concher.
MacBenn.Benn.Fryer

Offline jwb46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 May 06 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindamax.
I am from the Barclay/Berkley branch of the family.

My side of the family comes from. 1. Hans
                                                   2. John & Janet McGeorge
                                                   3. Walter
                                                   4. John McGeorge. (born 1840 in Much Wenlock, Shropshire,England.
                                                  5. Walter Henry my g/gf born 1868 Mt Egerton Vic.
                                                  6.Walter John Henry my gf born 1893 Mt Egerton.
                                                  7.John McGeorge my father born at Semaphore Adelaide South Australia 1924.
The first names of Walter & John seemed very popular and it can also be seen that the McGeorge name was used as a second name for both my father and my g/g/ grandfather born in shropshire.
I have attached (I hope) 2 of the pictures I took whilst in Kirkpatrick Durham Oct last year, of the Barclay Headstone in the Churchyard at K.D.
I am not sure any other information is of use to you as it only refers to the Barclay side of the family.

Offline brolga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 May 06 02:30 BST (UK) »
Monica, I think you have resolved my initial question, for, 'according to the family', Isabella, daughter of James & Agnes, had Hare [flexible spelling, of course] as her middle name.

Lin, yes, please pass on the details of the Hair stones.

jwb46, who is "1. Hans" in the little table you have included above?

Also, my sister has a transcription from the 1841 census (done long ago) of K-D showing John (55) & Janet Barkley (50) living with their children Mary (15), Thomas (13), Agnes (11) & William (9) and grandson Hugh Robson (4).
Do any of you have the 1841 entry for Thomas & Isabella?

This is getting quite interesting, really.

Now, for those curious about 'my part' of the next generation:
James & Agnes arrived in Melbourne (Aust) in 1863 with their then 3 children - John, Isabella & Thomas.  Isabella married Harman Rennick in Echuca (Vic, Aust) in 1880.  They had 10 children incl a g-g-mother of mine.
Isabella died in 1927, reputedly having retained her strong 'accent' [Kirkcudbrightshire?].  Her younger brother Tom died unmarried in 1921.  They were both buried in Jandowae (Qld, Aust).

Offline Lindamax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 May 06 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
  First of all-I can't see my thankyou reply that I sent to you jwb46 Sorry don't know where that one ended up!!!

1841 Census details for Thos & Isabella ROBSON (Back to robson)   Kirk. Durham
Isabella  69                             Old Walton
James     20                                     "
Mary         9                                     "
Thomas   72  Independant              "

MI's K.D: I am going to type them exactly as they are printed.They have numbered the stones with a plan of where they are in graveyard. These three are next to each other in a wee groupThere are straight rows. 96 & 95 are in the row but No. 97 is beside 96 standing on its own out of the row.

(95)   imo Eliz MURE 16.11.1797 47, h Ivie HAIR in Dead side of Lochrutton
 d 13.6.1801 54.
(west side) Here lies Henerita (sic) MUIRE d Dead side of Lochrutton 14.9.1799 47, fa Wm MUIRE,and mo Janet KISSOCK d there 5.1.1803 88, bro David MUIRE d Clunie of Terregles 13.7.1810 50

96 The one I gave before Thos & Isabella HAIR

97 (flat ledger stone) Jas HAIR late fr in Congeath Kirgunzeon died 11.11.1819 36, A faithful member of session of the Associate Congregation of Urr, An endearing husband and faithful friend, Christian of mild and gentle manners, highly respected...by w Janet HAIR. The said Janet MARTIN or HAIR d in the face of the Gospel...in Dumfries 29.8.1860 80

There is also this next to John Barkley & Janet McGeorge's stone (above) from jbw46.
by Hans BARKLEY imo chn:David d a child 1786, Wm 1792 13, Alex 30.8.1799 16, w Kethern McRobert 30.8.1806 56

Have fun
Lin

McCall.Kean.Concher.
MacBenn.Benn.Fryer