Author Topic: Menai mystery  (Read 3735 times)

Offline chiefsub68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Menai mystery
« on: Wednesday 29 September 04 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Family lore has it that an ancestor of mine died when a dog leapt up and pushed him over the edge of one of the Menai bridges (between Anglesey and the mainland) during the opening ceremony.

Any help/confirmation of this would be gratefully received!

Will
:: Williams - Newborough and Conway
:: Bramhill/Bramhall/Brammall - Liverpool
:: Prossor - Ireland, Portsmouth, Southampton, Manchester and Liverpool
:: Unwin - Liverpool
:: Baker - Portsmouth
:: Elvidge - Notts
:: Albrow - Leeds, Manchester, London, Suffolk
:: Hudson - Leeds
:: Hoggarth - N.Yorks

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Menai mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 04 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This is a tragic story.  If it is true I would be very surprised if it were not reported in one of the local papers.  Not being local to North Wales I don't know what these would be,  but I am sure it would be fairly easy to find out.

Have you tried the local papers?  If you cannot get access to them,  a letter to the editor may help.  Some larger papers keep their own archives,  and will search them for you.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Menai mystery
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 04 08:53 BST (UK) »
The 2 bridges are the Menai and the Brittania.

The Menai was built by Telford and opened on 30th Jan. 1826. There are several sites with newspaper articles covering the story.

One I've found, from the Chester Chronicle:
"This stupendous structure was opened for general intercourse on Monday, the 30th of January, at half past one in the morning"

Funny how the meanings of words change. You'd be arrested for that now. Or find a film of yourself on the internet!.

The other bridge, the Brittania, was built by Stephenson and was opened 5th March 1850.

A bit of history on the bridges is on:
http://www.anglesey-history.co.uk/places/bridges/

http://www.menaistraits.info/

You could also try the Anglesey archives at Llangefni. Anne Venables is very helpful, and would tell you which papers the report may be in.

Another thought: as this was one of the major projects of its time, have you tried the Times archives? The free trial runs out today.......

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II